F
Posted By
Fatbob
Feb 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Canon A70 and I now got Photoshop CS also, and was wondering which is the best book that discusses editing your digital pictures? For example, a book that discusses removing red eye.

Keep in mind that I’m a total newbie when it comes to using Photoshop.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AQ
Aaron Queenan
Feb 6, 2004
Look in the online help that came with Photoshop. It includes examples and tips, including how to remove "red eye".

Aaron.

"Fatbob" wrote in message
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Canon A70 and I now got Photoshop CS also, and was wondering which is the best book that discusses editing your digital pictures? For example, a book that discusses removing red eye.
Thanks!

F
Fatbob
Feb 6, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

I did look at the included red eye tutorial. It’s straight forward and all, but when I follow the steps, the eye color is grey despite the fact that I selected black as my foreground color.

Besides the red eye, I’m looking for general tips on how to retouch my pictures.

"Aaron Queenan" wrote in message
Look in the online help that came with Photoshop. It includes examples
and
tips, including how to remove "red eye".

Aaron.

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Canon A70 and I now got Photoshop CS also, and was wondering which is the best book that discusses editing
your
digital pictures? For example, a book that discusses removing red eye.
Thanks!

RM
Ron Minler
Feb 6, 2004
http://www.digitalretouch.org/

Thanks!

QO
Queen of Denial
Feb 6, 2004
There is a book at Barnes and Noble called Photoshop for Digital Photgraphers.
Thanks!

F
Fatbob
Feb 6, 2004
I saw that, but to the best of my knowledge, the second edition only covers PS7 and not CS. If that’s true, is this still a good book for someone using CS?

"Ron Minler" wrote in message
http://www.digitalretouch.org/

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Canon A70 and I now got Photoshop CS also, and was wondering which is the best book that discusses editing
your
Thanks!

AQ
Aaron Queenan
Feb 6, 2004
Did the "red eye" example use the desaturate or colour replacement method?

If you are using the colour replacer, try clicking on a lighter part of the red first, that way it will make the rest darker. The other option is to use the sponge to desaturate the red, but that will result in a grey colour.

Aaron.
F
Fatbob
Feb 6, 2004
The example used color replacement.

"Aaron Queenan" wrote in message
Did the "red eye" example use the desaturate or colour replacement method?
If you are using the colour replacer, try clicking on a lighter part of
the
red first, that way it will make the rest darker. The other option is to use the sponge to desaturate the red, but that will result in a grey
colour.
Aaron.

B
Brian
Feb 6, 2004
This question is asked way too often.

No offense intended, but honestly there are approximately six billion books on Photoshop, and one that appeals most to me may not appeal at all to you (and vice versa). Buying, reading and comprehending a computer book is a very personal affair; your best best is to go to your local bookstore, grab a cup of coffee in the cafe and look through some of them. One will almost certainly strike you as being easy for you to follow and contain the info you’re looking for.

Brian
W
Willo
Feb 6, 2004
Fatbob wrote:
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Canon A70 and I now got Photoshop CS also, and was wondering which is the best book

Have a look at ‘Adobe Photoshop for Photographers’ by Martin Evening which I have found really useful. It’s 400+ colour pages so not cheap but the stuff is great. I’ve got an older edition for v6.0 but I know that its been updated since,

Will.
F
Fatbob
Feb 7, 2004
No offense taken.

I agree that tastes vary, but the reason I ask is because there might be a book or two that really stand out in the Photoshop community or like wise a book which should be avoided at all costs. I’m a programmer, and as an example there are hundreds (I don’t think they’ve reached six billion yet) of books on Java, but there is that one or two book(s) that most Java developers would recommend to any one starting off in Java, and I’m sure the same applies to Photoshop, that’s why I asked.

"Brian" wrote in message
This question is asked way too often.

No offense intended, but honestly there are approximately six billion books on Photoshop, and one that appeals most to me may not appeal at all to you (and vice versa). Buying, reading and comprehending a computer book is a very personal affair; your best best is to go to your local bookstore, grab a cup of coffee in the cafe and look through some of them. One will almost certainly strike you as being easy for you to follow and contain the info you’re looking for.

Brian
SS
Shangara Singh
Feb 7, 2004
in article tMOUb.16079$, Fatbob wrote on 6/2/04
3:54 pm:

There are tutorials that come with Photoshop CS. Have you looked at the CD-Roms? Also, there are tips from the experts, including how to remove red eye! Go to Help > Welcome Screen and select an option. In the same menu, there are links to How To tips. Some of them may be too basic for you but you may find something useful in others.

With the exception of camera noise, as opposed to grain, and color aberration, which may not be noticeable on analogue photography, editing a digital picture is not that different to editing any other picture, IMO.

The biggest difference between digital and analogue capture is the CCD-RAW and CMOS-RAW file formats, which have to be processed and for that you need to know how to use the Camera Raw plug-in. Personally, I don’t think you need to read a book about Camera Raw. There’s enough info in the help file and just playing around in the dialog for a few hours should be sufficient to get you up to speed. Not sure if your camera is supported by Photoshop CS. There is a list of supported cameras on the Adobe site – start by selecting Photoshop Online in the Welcome Screen.

HTH.

Shangara Singh.
———————————————————— —————- :: Photoshop CS Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
:: Photoshop CS Essential Tips && ACE Exam Aids && Glossary :: http://www.photoshopace.com && http://www.examaids.com
RB
rafe.bustin
Feb 7, 2004
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:06:21 -0500, "Fatbob" wrote:

No offense taken.

I agree that tastes vary, but the reason I ask is because there might be a book or two that really stand out in the Photoshop community or like wise a book which should be avoided at all costs. I’m a programmer, and as an example there are hundreds (I don’t think they’ve reached six billion yet) of books on Java, but there is that one or two book(s) that most Java developers would recommend to any one starting off in Java, and I’m sure the same applies to Photoshop, that’s why I asked.

A few of my favorites:

1. Photoshop Artistry, Barry Haynes and Wendy Crumpler

Many editions, updated with each new Photoshop version.
Excellent in-depth tutorials and sample images on CD.
For learning Photoshop, this is my all time favorite.

2. Professional Photosop, Dan Margulis

All you ever wanted to know about the Curves tool,
many advanced techniques for getting the very best
tones and color from any image. A tough read, but
an excellent antidote to the notion that ICC color
management is the "only" way to fly. Dan’s a very good writer and very funny also. Sample chapters
are on found here:

<http://www.ledet.com/margulis/articles.html>

3. Photoshop Color Correction, Michael Kieran

Sort of like the Readers’ Digest version of Dan
Margulis’ work, more in tune with the ICC way of
doing things. Still quite a bit of depth here.

4. Photoshop Channel Chops, David Biedny et. al.

To really understand what layers and masks are
all about.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
F
Fatbob
Feb 7, 2004
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions everyone!

I really appreciate them all.

"Shangara Singh" wrote in message
in article tMOUb.16079$, Fatbob wrote on 6/2/04
3:54 pm:

your

There are tutorials that come with Photoshop CS. Have you looked at the CD-Roms? Also, there are tips from the experts, including how to remove
red
eye! Go to Help > Welcome Screen and select an option. In the same menu, there are links to How To tips. Some of them may be too basic for you but you may find something useful in others.

With the exception of camera noise, as opposed to grain, and color aberration, which may not be noticeable on analogue photography, editing a digital picture is not that different to editing any other picture, IMO.
The biggest difference between digital and analogue capture is the CCD-RAW and CMOS-RAW file formats, which have to be processed and for that you
need
to know how to use the Camera Raw plug-in. Personally, I don’t think you need to read a book about Camera Raw. There’s enough info in the help file and just playing around in the dialog for a few hours should be sufficient to get you up to speed. Not sure if your camera is supported by Photoshop CS. There is a list of supported cameras on the Adobe site – start by selecting Photoshop Online in the Welcome Screen.

HTH.

Shangara Singh.
———————————————————— ————–

:: Photoshop CS Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
:: Photoshop CS Essential Tips && ACE Exam Aids && Glossary :: http://www.photoshopace.com && http://www.examaids.com

C
cantexadian
Feb 7, 2004
"Fatbob" …
No offense taken.

—————————————————
Hi Fatbob,

Here is a direct answer to your original question about books worth buying.
As the proud owner of about $1000 dollars worth of Photoshop books, I would tell you that the first book(after slogging thru the manual) you should buy is:

1. The Photoshop book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby … New Riders Pub.
What I like about this book is that Scott gives simple,easy to follow techniques that will open your eyes to the power of Photoshop. For instance, he has multiple techniques on red eye removal that actually work.

2. Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann…also New Riders pub.
Her techniques on color correction and photo retouching are the most lucid and logical that I have found. She is nicknamed the "PhotoShop Diva" for good reason.
3. After that, the best source is Google with at least 10,000 tutorials on every conceivable subject concerning PS.
Hope this helps. Nikki
K
KBob
Feb 7, 2004
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:15:19 -0800, "Digital Art Resources" wrote:

Thanks!
The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers is the one I believe you’re referring to. Kelby’s book is unique in that it first presents simple straightforward methods, then often follows these with "advanced" versions of the same operations. A lot of the material is basic, but most long-time users of Photoshop should discover valuable tips nevertheless. Also there’s no need to spend $40 for it, since you can find several re-sellers that offer it for $28, maybe even less.

Another worthwhile item I now see on the bookshelves is "Adobe Photoshop: Selections, Vectors and Transformations" (printed in England). It’s only $12.95 USD and comes with a CD containing video tutorials. Much of the content of this would be considered advanced. It also appears to be the beginning of a series of these, with a similar volume "Enhancing Photos" to be offered in March.
DK
Daniel Kamman
Feb 8, 2004
Anybody have more information (author, publisher, website) on the book that "KBob" wrote about? (I can’t find it on the web)

"Another worthwhile item I now see on the bookshelves is "Adobe Photoshop: Selections, Vectors and Transformations" (printed in England). It’s only $12.95 USD and comes with a CD containing video tutorials. Much of the content of this would be considered advanced."
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Feb 8, 2004
Fatbob wrote:
I saw that, but to the best of my knowledge, the second edition only covers PS7 and not CS. If that’s true, is this still a good book for someone using CS?

Yes, definately. CS only adds features that you probably won’t be using in your image retouching.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
C
cantexadian
Feb 8, 2004
KBob …

Another worthwhile item I now see on the bookshelves is "Adobe Photoshop: Selections, Vectors and Transformations" (printed in England). It’s only $12.95 USD and comes with a CD containing video tutorials. Much of the content of this would be considered advanced. It also appears to be the beginning of a series of these, with a similar volume "Enhancing Photos" to be offered in March.

KBob
I have tried to find the book "Adobe Photoshop: Selections, Vectors and Transformations" that you have alluded to in the response to "Book suggestions". I have not been able to locate it yet. It almost sounds like a magazine. Do you have any more information on the book such as publisher and if anyone sells it in the US.
Thanks. nikki
W
wes
Feb 8, 2004
That second book sounds interesting but I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the US. Is it just a local thing?

"Daniel Kamman" wrote in message
Anybody have more information (author, publisher, website) on the book that "KBob" wrote about? (I can’t find it on the web)
"Another worthwhile item I now see on the bookshelves is "Adobe Photoshop: Selections, Vectors and Transformations" (printed in England). It’s only $12.95 USD and comes with a CD containing video tutorials. Much of the content of this would be considered advanced."
K
KBob
Feb 8, 2004
On 7 Feb 2004 22:59:36 -0800, (nikki) wrote:

KBob …

KBob
I have tried to find the book "Adobe Photoshop: Selections, Vectors and Transformations" that you have alluded to in the response to "Book suggestions". I have not been able to locate it yet. It almost sounds like a magazine. Do you have any more information on the book such as publisher and if anyone sells it in the US.
Thanks. nikki

Nikki
I purchased this at Barnes & Noble, and it was in the magazine section. It seems a bit more like a small book than a magazine, however–it’s only about 130 pages, but it’s nothing but good info. This one appears to be the fifth of a monthly series, but is the first time I recall seeing one in the store.
-KBob
QO
Queen of Denial
Feb 9, 2004
You could try Future Publishing they have been pumping out "handbooks". I think there is a local, UK bookseller, Smith.
"KBob" wrote in message

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Canon A70 and I now got Photoshop
CS
also, and was wondering which is the best book that discusses editing
your
Thanks!
The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers is the one I believe you’re referring to. Kelby’s book is unique in that it first presents simple straightforward methods, then often follows these with "advanced" versions of the same operations. A lot of the material is basic, but most long-time users of Photoshop should discover valuable tips nevertheless. Also there’s no need to spend $40 for it, since you can find several re-sellers that offer it for $28, maybe even less.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections