MW
Posted By
Mitchell_Weholt
Apr 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a LARGE Photoshop project in CS3. I have 20+ layers and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find anything. I was wondering if there is a plug-in or anything built in to the program to organize the layers.

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CB
charles badland
Apr 8, 2008
Look under Help for Layer Groups.
20+ layers ain’t nothing man.
P
Phosphor
Apr 8, 2008
Can you describe the problem a little more completely? How is it impossible to find things? I am wondering if you know how to use the Layers Palette properly.

Do you name your layers? Do you know how to find objects on layers by right-clicking on the pixels or Command-clicking or using Auto Select?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 8, 2008
Name your layers, use layer sets and adjust the layers so the stacking order is rather self evident. Also learn to toggle visiblitiy to simplify the image as you work on it and consider Auto Select as Ed suggests.

As Charles says, 20 layers is just a start. I’ve had some projects with over 100 layers. It happens if you use Photoshop for an artistic tool and are creating images out of whole cloth or using lots of photographic elements in composites. For those images a certain amount of advance planning and organization make the final product possible.
CB
charles badland
Apr 8, 2008
FYI Mitchell, "Layer Sets" are now called "Layer Groups" in CS3, one of the stupid, pointless nomenclature changes Adobe is going through.
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2008
one of the pointless nomenclature changes Adobe is going through

In many third-world countries, especially in Latin America, the first thing a newly elected small-town mayor does is to reverse the direction of all one-way streets and change the names of as many streets and parks as possible. It gives the small-town politician an exaggerated sense of power and accomplishment.

It seems Adobe’s bureaucracy is heading in that direction too. :/
M
Macman
Apr 8, 2008
For more info, I have a large game board and what I really need to do is be able to hold down a key or something and click on the part of image and have select the layer. I also would like to know more about Layer Groups and Auto-Select, I am not familiar with these features.
P
Phosphor
Apr 8, 2008
They are all described in the manual/Help files. With the Move tool selected there is a checkbox on the Options Bar for Auto Select. Check it and try it out. Might be just what you need.
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2008
Read the User Guide and the Help files. For more detailed tutorials, Google is your friend.

Also recommendable: Photoshop Classroom in a Book.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections