Posted By
Andrew_Smithsmithsmith
Nov 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have CS, I have tried reinstalling.

The problem is that sometimes (not all the time, it happens at indeterminable times – can’t pinpoint any particular circumstances) CS refuses to open an existing file or create a new file – basically it flat out does nothing.

This happens whether I try and create a new file, open an existing one through the open dialogue, via selecting ‘edit with photoshop’ in the system context menu and when selecting it from recent files. No error message is given, just nothing happens.

Recently it seems that CS entered ‘this state’ whilst I already had an image open – at which point it decided to not carry out any of my actions – I selected crop, it did nothing; the same goes for filling with colours etc. I also tried opening a new image after this point and it refused – that’s how I knew it was in this state.

As I said before, I have tried reinstalling – also the same problem does NOT happen with ImageReady.

I am on XP SP2, all windows updates. A64 3700+, 1GB DDR400, 6800GT.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 24, 2006
I have tried reinstalling

Did you trash the Prefs? A corrupted Preferences file will survive a reinstall unscathed – and it could be the cause of this.

See the FAQs for how to delete/reset it.
AS
Andrew_Smithsmithsmith
Nov 24, 2006
Thanks for the response, I’ll check it out.
AS
Andrew_Smithsmithsmith
Nov 24, 2006
Okay, tried resetting the prefs file and the problem still occurs.
AS
Andrew_Smithsmithsmith
Nov 25, 2006
Can anyone else suggest anything?
AS
Andrew_Smithsmithsmith
Nov 30, 2006
Hello? I’ve had to install the GIMP for when it decides not to work…
AS
Andrew_Smithsmithsmith
Dec 22, 2006
Still looking for a solution to this.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 23, 2006
Could be a variety of things, Andrew, from a hardware problem (bad RAM chip, Processor etc.) to a bad driver.

As a diagnostic, try turning down your video hardware acceleration to zero. If that helps it is definitely a video driver problem and you should look for an update on your vid.card manufacturer’s web site.
Z
zg
Dec 23, 2006
have the same problem with photoshop cs2 (any version) on two computers. one — p4 2.4 ghz (without hyperthreading), 1 gb ram, radeon 9100, another — c2d 2.4 ghz, 2 gb ram, geforce 7900gs. very different configuration — so i’m sure what it is software problem. and i found some tricky workaround. 1. start photoshop.
2. start imageready.
3. in image ready create smal image.
4. edit in photoshop. image must opened in photoshop.
5. if you want you may close imageready.
after this new and open commands work fine till you close image from imageready.
Z
zg
Dec 24, 2006
found problem. in my case — it is keyboard. the photoshop on long operations check if esc or ctrl-break pressed through GetAsyncKeyState api call. in my keyboard after i make folowed sequence: ctrl press, break press, ctrl resume, break resume — the GetAsyncKeyState always return what ctrl-break pressed. and new and open commands simply breaked at start.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections