Serious Photoshp 6 & 7 problems: shuts off while attempting to open files and a instillation

BR
Posted By
Bob_Roper
Nov 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m Bob, a regular Photoshop user. I have a laptop (Compaq) which seems to have issues running PS after instillation.

Problem #1: One of two things will happen: I will encounter the following message:

"you currently have Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch and Windows’ primary paginf file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommendd that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive."

I do not have another drive on the laptop, other than the DVD drive and the CD-RW drive, so i’m not sure how I can apply the suggestion of the message.

Problem #2 comes after bypassing that message (I know that was not wise) and any attempts to work or open any graphics fles of any type or size: the program shuts off! No warning messages or any kind; it just shuts off and I lose anything before I had a chance to save it.

If anyone has a remedy to the two problems, I would really appreciate the help, because I cannot work at all, with this current situation.

Sincerely,

Bob Roper

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2003
Bob,

As Bob said, for #1, that’s just a message telling you that if you had another HD, you MIGHT get better performance. It confuses a lot of users, but it is benign.

For problem #2, try resetting your preferences per the procedure outlined in the faq.

Peace,
Tony
BR
Bob_Roper
Nov 7, 2003
Bob Levine:

Thanks for the information. The specs you may need are as follows:

Compaq Presario laptop 2700 series / Pentium 3 / 512 of RAM / 1133MHz Virtual memory: 768MB (once set at a increased level, but no effect on the problem) / 22GB free space (5GB used) / Hardware acceleration (set to high and low with no effect either way).

If this helps, please let me know, and thanks for taking the time to share information.

Bob Roper
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2003
Sigh. Did you try resetting your preferences?
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 8, 2003
I agree with Tony (on this anyway <g>). Try trashing your prefs. If that doesn’t work, let us know.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 8, 2003
or #1, that’s just a message telling you that if you had another HD, you MIGHT get better performance. It confuses a lot of users, but it is benign.

if the message doesn’t go away, setting the scratch disk (in prefrences) from Startup to "C:\" will clear it up.
PL
Par Lindstrom
Nov 9, 2003
Photoshop is crashing

I’ve been using a HP laptop with Win98 for a long time without any problems – until I installed Photoshop 5.5 to be able to check some exercises over a weekend. Then, in the middle of Adobe’s own "Classroom in a book" lesson 6, when I was going to "replace color", the program stopped working. I rebooted windows and started again, and now Photoshop refused to do several tasks, like the rubber stamp that I’ve been using a lot on several computers – sometimes I did not get the correct brushes on screen and if I did there was no effect. I uninstalled Photoshop and installed it again – same result. I installed Photoshop on my ordinary computer running WinXP – same result. I uninstalled Photoshop 5.5 and installed Photoshop 7.0.1 – same result!

As I got the same result with to different versions of Photoshop it seems it has to do with interaction between Photoshop and Windows?

Anybody has experienced anything similar?
Or have an idea what to do?
Should I reinstall WinXP and then Photoshop again?

Par Lindstrom
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 9, 2003
par, reset your prefrences per the faq.
PL
Par Lindstrom
Nov 9, 2003
Dave, thanks for a rapid answer.
However, here is a language problem.
I think I know what "reset your preferences" mean, but what is "reset your preferences per the faq" ? Par
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 9, 2003
Sigh.
PL
Par Lindstrom
Nov 9, 2003
"Sigh"
I’m sorry. My Adobe manuals are in Swedish language.
Generally I can follow and benefit from the debate in this forum.

Reseting preferenses in Adobe prgrams usually means deleting specific files. I’d like to be quite sure what to do before deleting files!
Adobe’s "Support Knowledgebase" wasn’t enlighting on this matter. Par
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 9, 2003
Sorry Par, it’s been one of those days for me. No offense intended.

Here’s a tip. It seems that with Photoshop 7 the preferences become corrupted WAY more than they should. Armed with that knowledge, I make copies of my most current PSP files and put them in a safe location. In the event I would have to reset preferences (although I’ve never had to), I would simply restore my latest set of working PSP files, no harm no foul.

Resetting the preferences seems to the be cure-all for a littany of ills with this version. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve suggested it and the user comes back and says "Hey, thanks it worked!". It’s not always true, but often enough for me to suggest it when "very odd" things begin to happen, like Photoshop closing all of a sudden.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 9, 2003
Here’s the link:

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 12:04pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
BR
Bob_Roper
Nov 13, 2003
Robert Levine:

Sorry to reply so late, but work was heavy so I did not have time to return to this. I tried changing the preferences in PS (from Startup to "C") and set the program to use more RAM, but it still shuts off when opening various files of various memmory sizes.

I really do not know what to do at this point.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 13, 2003
Have you tried resetting your preferences per the procedure in the faq and the link that Dave posted?

Just a thought.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 13, 2003
Bob,

Changing "startup" to "C", as Dave said, caters for the message at startup about the scratch volume. NOT for the shutting down.

Please delete your PS prefs. This worked for people that were about to throw their pc out the window. (I actually saw this once. Left me stunned).

Rob
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 13, 2003
What? Am I invisible here? Sigh.. I’ll be drinking early today.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 13, 2003
You’re not invisible. We just wrote our essays simultaneously, despite the time difference: I fixed me a meal at the same time, hence the nine minutes.

Don’t get too drunk. I feel there are more problems where this came from.

Rob
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 13, 2003
<nodding> Gotcha. It’s just that I posted to reset the preferences in post #2 as well. Just a beeeeet frustrating sometimes.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 13, 2003
I know,
People are afraid that resetting is going to kill them.
BTW the meal is terrible. Threw it in the bin.
Rob (hungry)
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 13, 2003
Well, we probably eat more than we should anyway. If you wait until tomorrow, you’ll be really hungry, and then anything will taste good (yeah, that’s the ticket!)

Peace,
Tony
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 13, 2003
Found some peanuts Mmmm.
Is cat food OK?
Peace too.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections