Weird!-Some JPEGs created in Photoshop appear as a negative image when attached to an email

OD
Posted By
Ovel_Doyle
Feb 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This weirdness happened again today and I’m stumped! I saved a Photoshop file (a client logo) as a JPEG file (size 1.2 MB). When I attached the JPEG to my email message to send it to the client it appeared in my mail message as a negative image (black background instead of white combined blue and green weirdness where normal colors should appear.)
I thought it may just be my Mail app so I emailed the jpeg to myself to see what would happen. Sure enough, when the jpeg came back to me it showed up as a negative image. I dragged the jpeg to my desktop and it opened up in Photoshop with normal colors. Trying the same thing with the same artwork in TIFF and EPS formats revealed no problems.
The question is, is there something wrong with the jpeg that causes it to show up as a negative? Or is there something in my email application settings that causes this? (I normally use Apple’s Mail app.) This has happened before on rare occassions with other jpeg files created in Photoshop. I use Adobe CS2 on a loaded G5 Tower with 10.4.8.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Feb 9, 2007
They might be in CMYK mode
OD
Ovel_Doyle
Feb 9, 2007
Yep!…It sure is!…The client asked for a JPEG to give to his printer, ergo, I assumed he needed CMYK. I knew a tiff would be better anyway so I actually wound up making a zip archive of the larger tiff version and sent that to him instead (which I am sure the printer much preferred). So sending CMYK jpegs is a no-no? Or do they just look funny as an attachment and when someone asks for one I should just tell them it’s going to appear strange on the attachment but will pull up properly in Photoshop?
B
Buko
Feb 9, 2007
Or do they just look funny as an attachment and when someone asks for one I should just tell them it’s going to appear strange on the attachment but will pull up properly in Photoshop?

Yup, but generally Jpgs suck for printing
J
JasonSmith
Feb 10, 2007
Email and web based software uses RGB mode, because most anything on the web is intended for monitors (RGB).

Sometimes email and internet programs do a bad job of converting CMYK to RGB for the screen preview.
I
iSteveV
Feb 12, 2007
This negative thing happens to me to in Apple Mail when I tried it too, I use Eudora, no problems at all.
OD
Ovel_Doyle
Feb 12, 2007
Thanks to all for your help. Mystery solved! Just for yuks and chuckles I changed the JPEG to RGB mode and had no problems with it showing up correctly in Mail. And I did wind up sending the client a TIFF version instead. Again, thanks everybody!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections