Posted By
Joel_Akerman
Nov 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey guys!

When I click one of my recent documents or try and run for example "export layers to files" the menu disappears as expected but nothing happens. What could be the problem? I tried reinstall, uninstall/install and deleting prefs. Although I choose "don’t remember prefs" during uninstall, PS seems to be remembering my brushes, so there must be stuff left on the HD. Might this be a problem?

Thanks in advance

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 21, 2006
Joel,

Can you be more specific. Are you saying that if you open an image your menu disappears "as expected"?

The better the question, the better the help <wink>.

Peace,
Tony
JA
Joel_Akerman
Nov 21, 2006
Yes, I am sorry 🙂

I mean that I go up to the "File" menu, point at "open recent", I can see all my recent files, so it all looks like it’s in order. I click the file I want to open, and when I do the "file" pulldown menu closes (so I know he recognizes me clicking) but nothing happens. I have made sure that the files are not moved around or something like that, they are where they’re supposed to.

Now the script menu seems to work again, I haven’t done anything in particular, but it works. Still no luck with the "open recent" menu…
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 21, 2006
That’s much better, thanks.

Try locating one of the images from your MRU list with Explorer or Bridge. Open it normally, then close it. Once you do that, will choosing it from the Recent list open it?

There are times when I have to load Photoshop 7 (because they screwed up the order of file processing in CS2), and then launch CS2. When I do that, my files from my recent list in CS2 won’t open, with various messages. Point is, are you doing anything like opening a previous version?
JA
Joel_Akerman
Nov 21, 2006
Hey yrbkmgr, thanks for your help!

I am not sure what you mean by "they screwed up the order of file processing in CS2" or the consequences thereof, but I did as you told me.
I have tried now to open the files in all ways I could think of and trying to get ps to open them from the recent list, without luck. I have no previous versions of Photoshop or any other Adobe program installed, and I have no other program that handles psd files, so I have no idea what might be the problem 🙁
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 21, 2006
I am not sure what you mean by "they screwed up the order of file processing in CS2" or the consequences thereof,

That’s just my way of being that annoying pain in the ass to Adobe reminding them that this is still an issue. Personal agenda, not of any consequence to you.

As it relates to your specific issue, if you open a file, you can do so multiple ways: drag-n-drop, file|open dialog, Bridge drag-n-drop, double click on a file, etc.

Does the same hold true for each way you open it?

You might try a reinstall – it doesn’t affect your preferences and straightens things out. If that doesn’t help, try resetting your preferences per the procedure in the faq.

That’s about as much as I can figger…
JA
Joel_Akerman
Nov 21, 2006
Okay, thanks man.

I can open it in every way, just not by clicking a file in open recent. I tried reinstalling and resetting the prefs, doesn’t work anyway. I guess I’ll just try and uninstall the entire suite and reinstalling. If this doesn’t work I guess I’ll just have to open stuff up in other ways and hope it starts working eventually.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah. It’s odd, but if what you’re reporting is right, that’s probably what I’d do. But first I might poke around the registry for MRU (Most Recently Used)for photoshop and see if there were anything revealing there (whatever that might mean). It’d be easy to find by searching for one of those file names in the registry.

If you don’t know much about the registry, caveat emptor.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections