DA
Posted By
DC_Alias
Jun 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I like Photoshop very much for doing all I want for an image, but I am getting very ticked off at something that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. No google search or search anywhere comes up with a solution to this.

Every time I try to open a normal image file like a simple jpg or other simple image file by using Open Recent, so I don’t have to search for the file all over again, it tells me it’s not a valid photoshop document. The files open fine in everything else, and even already opened fine in PS (kinda WHY it’s in the Open Recent list), so it is NOT a problem with the file. I had JUST dragged and dropped a normal jpg image into PS a minute ago just to make it screw up reopening it again, and low and behold, the file I just dragged into PS that it opened perfectly fine suddenly isn’t a valid photoshop document when I go to it 5 seconds later after closing it and trying to open it in the Open Recent list.

ANY file that ISN’T a .psd will not open in that list until I go FIND the file again using "Open…". This is extremely annoying when I have some files that are only a single number in difference saved from website (file_00800769543.jpg), and when I have hundreds to look through.

Again, the files open FINE with "Open…", I DID NOT do any editing and saving, just viewing, and yet when I open Photoshop the next day, I have to find every file I want open all over again because Photoshop suddenly declares the files it already had open as invalid for no reason. I can’t describe it any clearer than that, so I hope someone can help find out why I have to keep finding perfectly fine files when I COULD be using the "Open Recent.." list to get back to work quickly.

Thank you in advance. Sorry I sound upset, but you would be too after wasting hours trying to find a solution to a problem that shouldn’t exist.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 17, 2007
Have you tried resetting your preferences?

See <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 17, 2007
If the prefs reset doesn’t work, I’ll take a shot in the dark…do you have Windows set to hide extensions on known file types? If so, disable that.

Bob
DA
DC_Alias
Jun 17, 2007
I haven’t altered any preferences other than the grid, and why would I have to make all of my files show the .whatever to make what worked fine work now? That shouldn’t have anything to do with this opening a file just fine through open but not through open recent.

I’ll try this reset thing, but I still don’t get at all how there isn’t any single prefernce I could possibly change that has anything to do with how "Open Recent" would work.

Read through my whole post. I just said that Photoshop has NO PROBLEM opening the files. It ONLY has a problem REopening the same file from the "Open Recent" list. It opens FINE in EVERY other way.

Aside from that, Windows hides .psd file types and it opens THOSE fine through the Open Recent list in the File menu. That is not the problem.
S
stevent
Jun 17, 2007
The behaviour wasn’t the result of a changed preference, rather the result of a corrupt preferences file.
Some actions like, shutting down your PC with Photoshop running can sometimes cause this corruption.
DA
DC_Alias
Jun 20, 2007
Oh, ok. Thanks. I think it probably happened one day when I opened PS by accident and was in a hurry, so I forced it to stop with CTRL+ALT+DEL and ending the program before it finished loading, so it crashed. Thanks again, and now I’ll know what to do from now on.

I was wondering something else, though. I had some bitmaps, just regular ordinary bitmap images, which open fine in other programs but photoshop tells me something along the lines of that it doesn’t support that format or something, even though it does. I can’t find the images that were doing that at the moment to state exactly what it said, but I couldn’t find anything online for that, either.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever heard of that happening before.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections