W
Posted By
Wayneswhirld
Jan 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In PS CS, I’ve created a heart shape on a layer. I want to duplicate this shape or object evenly across the width, as can be done in Illustrator. I don’t see how that is done in Help. Is there a way to do it in Photoshop other then dragging off individual copies?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 7, 2007
Not sure what you mean by "evenly across the width". Maybe a Pattern Fill is what you want? Define the shape as a Pattern and fill in a selected area.
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 7, 2007
I have made a heart shape. I want to repeat it across about eight times over the length (sorry, not width) of the background. The only way I know to do it is with the Selection tool, hold down Option, then drag a copy (holding Shift) into position. Then drag another copy, each time creating an additional layer. I haven’t tried a Pattern Fill but I’ll try it now.
P
Phosphor
Jan 7, 2007
This isn’t too tough, really.

The only difficulty will be if you want to replicate a bunch of copies to fill a certain amount of spce with Illustrator-style accuracy. In that case, you’ll have to do some math beforehand.

Other wise, just try this:
* Make your first Heart Shape Layer.
* Command+J to make a copy of the layer.
* Command+T to invoke the Transform Bounding box (T.B.B.) * At The left side of your Options Bar click the triangle between the "X" and "Y" axis fields.
* Type in a distance in the the "X" field…"90px" for example. * This will move the copied layer 90 pixels to the right of original Heart Shape Layer. * Tap the "Enter" key to commit the transformation. * Hold down Command+Option+Shift…then tap the "T" key on your keyboard. Every time you tap the "T" it’ll make another copy and move it the same distance as that first transform.Work through those instructions to see if it’s enough to get you going. If they’re not, post back to this thread with specific questions about where you get stuck.

(Click the image below to see the full sized version)
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1NnH0vXLER9xtIWzDY e92kx0RbwX>
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 7, 2007
Phos…worked like a charm…thanks!
P
Phosphor
Jan 7, 2007
You’re welcome, Wayne.

That shortcut for the "Transform Again" (Command+Option+Shift+T) is one I discovered by accident 5 or 6 years ago—maybe longer—and have used it a lot since then.

Just as a suggestion, you might want to study the Help files and PDF manual. And something that’ll REALLY be a help is to study the shortcuts for your version of Photoshop. It’ll help you tremendously. Just force yourself to learn one or two new ones every time you work, and you’ll gain a lot of speed. They’ll become automatic after several regular uses.

Have a look at the link below for Trevor Morris’s site. Very near the top is a link to PDF files listing shortcuts for many versions of Photoshop. Pick the right one to match your version and download it. Dig around on Trevor’s site. There is a lot of good stuff there:

<http://user.fundy.net/morris/?photoshop.shtml>
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks again Phos. I’m pretty good at Photoshop in print production, but a freelance client is giving me work that is challenging me in a new way. I have saved this thread and will definitely take a look at Trevor’s site.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections