AB
Posted By
amanda_benjamin
Jun 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
please take a look and tell me if you know how this type of text effect was made. notice the reflection on top of each letter? there also appears to be a slight gradient and stroke around each letter.
i’m guessing this is some sort of plug-in for photoshop or maybe illustrator? i can’t imagine anybody taking the time to do this by hand… at first glance it seems like a bevel effect but i can not duplicate it without going through a long process of filters and adjustments. it seems to be some sort of gel effect…

does anybody know how to do this?
<http://amandalaeldavis.com/images/vslogo.jpg>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2007
"i can’t imagine anybody taking the time to do this by hand"

See, that’s the funny thing.

A lot of people think—because the software we have is so powerful— there’s a one-click method for everything like this, when in fact there ARE graphic artists who make a handsome living because they know how to create effects like that which can’t be done any other way besides manually. And they’re paid to take the time necessary.

Now, am I saying similar effects can’t be done easily with the help of Layer effects or some other kind of Filter or plug in?

No, I’m not.

But in this case, it looks like it was done with Illustrator.

Manually.

You’ll gain a lot of valuable insight by experimenting and finding your own methods, and your own style. If you need some inspiration, there are a bazillion tutorials just waiting at the other end of a Google search.
AB
amanda_benjamin
Jun 8, 2007
have no problem doing it by hand, at least once and then creating an action….. but obviously the reason i posted here is because i haven’t been able to duplicate it myself. i’ve come very close but it just doesn’t look the same. my point in posting here is to learn a new technique, not to find an easy way out, or to offend any graphic artists. anyway, i’m guessing it has been done with illustrator which is a program i’m not familiar with.

maybe i will try this thing you speak of called "google search"…
B
Bernie
Jun 8, 2007
I’ve come very close but it just doesn’t look the same.

Close observation should reveal what the differences are. Good knowledge of PS and AI should allow you to adjust these differences.
AB
amanda_benjamin
Jun 8, 2007
well.. i’ve downloaded a trial of illustrator and luckily my job has a corporate subscription to popular video tutorial site so i’m going to give it the ol’ college try. nothing wrong with a bit more knowledge.

thanks for the advice.
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2007
The real point I was trying to make is that you should certainly use tutorials to learn your fundamental skills, and then apply what you’ve learned to create your own style. Maybe it’ll look exactly the same as the image you referenced, maybe it won’t. No harm, either way.

I don’t mean to say that there is nobody here who will walk you step-by-step through a cut-and-dried recipe for getting the exact same look, but that’s not really within the scope of these forums.

That’s why there are a bazillion tutorials online. When you get stuck on a particular point, that’s where the regulars here shine—by reading your description of what you’ve tried so far, what you’ve attempted in order to get past the sticking point, we’ll be better able help you ferret out exactly why you’re having the trouble.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jun 8, 2007
This could have been done in Illustrator or Photoshop.

Even without any automated filters (I’m sure they’re out there if you’re willing to buy), this could be pulled off in something as old as Photoshop 4 in about 5 minutes with thoughtful use of saved and shifted selections.
AB
amanda_benjamin
Jun 8, 2007
hmm… Jim you mean like selecting the letters, adjusting/contracting the selection, making a duplicate layer and filling it in with white, adjusting blend/opacity and then shaving off the bottom? or some other method? i tried doing something similar to that but i wasn’t getting that nice rounded, smooth effect… when i got to removing the bottom part of the overlay it looked really bad. i duplicated the selection and used it to delete the bottom part of the overlay to just leave that top reflective part but… it looked sloppy.

what am i missing?
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2007
"…this could be pulled off in something as old as Photoshop 4…"

A’yup

"…in about 5 minutes…"

Not so sure about that.

"…with thoughtful use of saved and shifted selections."

A’yup.

🙂
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jun 8, 2007
you mean like… …then shaving off the bottom?

Yes.

Mix in ‘Select>Modify>Smooth’ to get the nice rounded smooth effect so that the highlights are not perfect matches to the top of the letters.

Convert selections to paths and then you can tweak with pen controls if you really want to refine it.

Not so sure about that

Phos: wanna race? 🙂
AB
amanda_benjamin
Jun 8, 2007
thanks Jim, you know the more i look at it (the original vs my re-creation) i think the reason it looks sloppy to me is because the font i used to duplicate the effect (billboard) is wider and more squared off at the top.

after i smoothed it out a bit it didn’t look half bad. i think it would look a lot better if i had used a rounder font… thanks for the tips though.
P
Phosphor
Jun 8, 2007
Jim…

I’d gladly take you up on that if we were sitting side-by-side, with the systems and set ups of our own choosing!

Sounds like fun!

🙂
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jun 8, 2007
I choose Photoshop 4 on a Pentium 1 with 32 MB of RAM.

Perhaps my simplistic view of this task is that I used to airbrush BC and this would be just as simple with a single mask of friskit. I’m sure the task can seem much more complicated with the latest version of Photoshop with its overwhelming bells and whistles.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections