AT
Posted By
Andrew_Tully
Jun 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all, this is a trivial task in InDesign but I need to do it in Photoshop but can’t figure it out. Basically I have got several text areas that sit alongside a large map and I want to run the text long the edge of the map. It must be possible in Photoshop!!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
NTD
Jun 11, 2005
Perhaps you could do type on a path?

Use the pen tool, make your path, and type on it, unless I’m misunderstanding what you want to do?
AT
Andrew_Tully
Jun 11, 2005
I see what you mean but I don’t want to type on a path, I want the paragraph to run around a graphic, if you can imagine a paragraph of text with an image of an apple place in the upper right corner of the paragraph, I want the text to avoid the graphic and run onto the next line when it meets the graphic. I can’t see how to do it in photoshop, but there must be a way…

Thanks for your suggestion!

Andrew
JJ
John Joslin
Jun 11, 2005
I explained this a few months ago however I can’t find the thread.

Fortunately a forum member made it into a tutorial which was published on <http://www.wz2k.co.uk> from where it is downloadable as a PDF. (See "Creating Odd Shaped Text Boxes In Adobe Photoshop CS" at the top of the page.)
AT
Andrew_Tully
Jun 11, 2005
John, thank you so much for the tutorial! I knew it was possible but just couldn’t find the answer ANYWHERE!! It works perfectly!

Thanks again!

Andrew
JJ
John Joslin
Jun 11, 2005
Glad I could help 🙂
GA
George_Austin
Jun 11, 2005
John,

Cool invention. Well-written explanation. A model for helpful contributions.

Thanks
JJ
John Joslin
Jun 11, 2005
Credit to Jim Schwarzbach who created the PDF.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 12, 2005
This is a great find! And it seems that the bounding box need be conected to the outside of the canvas by just a narrow little strip. I suppose if you’re really careful, you could create the illusion <http://www.gartenphotography.com/private/Experiment_1.jpg> of a graphic surrounded by text.

Although Photoshop isn’t designed to do page layout (it’s a graphics program, after all), it’s still a nice and useful trick to know.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections