CN
Posted By
Cathy_Niles
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using PS Elements 2.0 with Win XP. I have a .tif photo of a logo. It has a white background with a black logo drawing. I want to seperate the black logo from the white background and make the background clear- not white- so I can save the logo with a clear background to use in a powerpoint show that has a red background. When i try to do this I seperate the logo and put it on a new layer. Then when I save it the white background shows up again. How can I do this?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 4, 2004
Cathy,

If the logo and the background are very distinct from one another, try this method.

1. Convert the background in the layers palette to a layer by double clicking the word background.

2. Find the Magic Wand Tool in the tool panel.

3. Make sure that "contiguous" is unchecked on the options bar.

3. Click in the white area of the image and you should see a marquee around all of the white areas.

4. Hit the delete key and then save the image either as a .tif or a .gif image to preserve the transparency.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 4, 2004
Instead of saving the selection of the logo to a new layer, try drag and dropping to a new transparent background. As long as you’re working within the same image file, that white background will continue to be part of it. You could try deleting that white layer, but I don’t think it will work. I’ve always just moved mine because it was faster and easy in the long run.

Edit – he’s right you can delete it. I guess I forgot, because I always keep the original and create a new image on the transparent background.
CN
Cathy_Niles
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks a lot. It worked great.
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 5, 2004
Beth,

You have a point there, as well. I didn’t think about the original image in my reply. At the very least it would be good to make a duplicate and work only on that one.

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections