Posted By
Rightmer_Mike
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’ve got a good one for you.
I’m pretty new at using PS Elements. I do the same tasks with it each day, though. I open the program.
I open a directory,
pull out a jpg (1.jpg)
and resize it to 3.5 inches.
Then Save with same name(overwriting the original.)

Go to the directory,
pull out a jpg (2.jpg)

Go to the directory,
pull out a jpg (3.jpg)

This is the process I go through each day.

My question is…..

Is there a way to set up PS Elements to do some of these steps for me? I use Excel at work, and the Macros feature is a life(and time)saver. Is there anything similar I can use to cut my workload in 1/2 and increase my productivity?

Thanks in advance for your replies..

Rightmer

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BG
Byron Gale
Mar 1, 2004
Rightmer,

Take a look at the Batch Processing feature of PSE2. (File > Batch Processing…).

It should be able to do what you describe.

You don’t mention whether you are using v1 or v2 of PSE, and I do not know if Batch is in v1, so apologies in advance if this advice is null for you.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 1, 2004
In Photoshop, you’re describing an ‘Action’, but that’s one of the features Adobe left out of Elements in order to cut the price and make it affordable for the average consumer wanting an almost professional grade digital editing program. Elements is capable of playing most Actions created in full Photoshop, and especially one similar to what you’re describing; however, the action would have to be written in the full version. If you know someone who has full PS, you could ask them to do it for you and then run it from your software.
RM
Rightmer_Mike
Mar 1, 2004
How would one do this in Photoshop? My employer has promised to purchase whatever software I need to get the job done faster. I can probablly get it by mid week. I have to provide him with a little more on specifics. If he thinks I’m buying a product with no knowledge of how to accomplish my task, it won’t be pretty.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 1, 2004
But you don’t need full photoshop to do these tasks. PE2 can batch resize and save if that’s all you need to do.
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 1, 2004
I just came back because I realized you might not need an action to do what you want. Have you tried the Batch feature of Elements? It will allow you to resize, but you don’t say whether the resizing you’re doing requires cropping. If it doesn’t, see if this will work:

Gather all of the images you need to resize into one folder. Go to File>Batch Processing. Select a Source folder, select the size you want, and then select a Destination folder.

Check it out and report back.

Edit: And Barbara got here first! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections