BL
Posted By
Bill_Lamp
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m after that hard (if not impossible) to find information that is important on scanners and digital cameras.

I am very early into the learning curve with a S2. I was wondering if anyone knew the D-max for this camera (at any ISO equlivlent but 100 or 200 would be prefered) for RAW files. I am trying to determine a rough comparison with my N-90 (scanner is a Nikon CoolScan IV – LS40. Scanning software is Hamrick’s and I normally use 4x multi-pass multi-scan.) My printer is an Epson 2200.

I mainly use Fuji Astia and, until the freezer runs out, Kodak Royal Gold 200.

And no. You can NOT have my last two rolls of Royal Gold 100 as payment for an answer. <grin>

I know very well that, when the paying job allows, I will have to carry out side by side tests using stakes to mark the "frame" and adjust a zoom lens so the pictures will be close to the same size. (That 1.5 difference)

If I over looked something other than I use Photoshop-7, updated and the updated Fuji RAW converter that you need to know, please tell me.

Thank you,
Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 6, 2004
D-Max is an elusive "standard" in digital imaging. Perhaps it’s more accurate to say that it’s non-existant. There is no industry standard by which D-Max (or even dynamic range) is measured. D-Max in particular is more a marketing statement than a scientific one.

Most D-max ratings are already at an "impossible" figure now, compared to actual photometic densitometer standards!

Mac
PW
Peter_Wing
Jan 7, 2004
Adding to Mac McDougald comments:
"D-Max" is commonly used in film/flatbed scanner specifications and can be used ONLY to compare other similar products. You will also find that the higher resolution film scanner files do NOT yield higher quality photographic prints than a lower PPI(pixels per inch) Fuji S2 image file.
In real world use, a lower resolution Fuji S2 file can yield photographic prints with the VISUAL equal to prints from 2 1/4 inch negatives.
See Fuji S2 forums at:
<http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1020> <http://www.theswampbbs.com/forums/>
So…test…test…and test. You might also find that your favorite zoom lens which works very well on your film body produces very poor digital files. (See forums for information.)
I have/use the Nikon LS-2000 film scanner, Fuji Finepix S2 Pro camera, Adobe Photoshop CS, and Fujifilm RAW Converter EX v2.0.
Peter
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jan 8, 2004
Mac and Peter,

I’m used to seeing D-max for films and having a bit of useful information. But as it more or less boiled down to: On dark overcast low contrast days use 200 ASA. On brighter days use 100. And (used to be) on real bright days use 25 Royal Gold or K’Chrome. For B&W use Plus-X and Rodinal developer. The ‘chrome being a couple of decades earlier.

As for zoom lenses, I’m more concerned over the 1.5x multiplier and the 105 Macro lens and the probable need for another wide angle lens. But with the 180mm f 2.8 becoming close to 300 effective, there are trade offs in my favor too.

The comment about the visual equal to 2 1/4 negatives was VERY interesting to say the least.

My camera came boxed with the EX v2 Raw converter and I haven’t yet done a comparison of it vrs. Hamrick’s built in.

I see that the testing I wanted to do is only a drop in the bucket compared to what I am going to have to do and, for now, I had better plan on carrying both for a few months.

Thank you for the lead to the forums. I have them book-marked.

Bill
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 16, 2004
The maximum density has nothing to do with the light sensitivity or grain — just how dark the image can get on film and that then determines what kind of scanner you’ll need to scan it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections