RD
Posted By
Royce_Dodds
Dec 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
With out getting flamed, I have a question related to this topic, I hope. I would like to send work to a press, but how does the press create a profile, for me to use. And links or advice is greatly welcomed

I’m a bit green, excuse the pun, and new to the Press industry.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Dec 22, 2006
Royce,

They (should) have a profile they use for every combination of printer/ink/paper they use.

Normally, you would send them a file in a device-independent profile, but if they want you to convert to their profile, just ask them for it and do the conversion yourself.
RD
Royce_Dodds
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks RamΓ³n, The printing of all of the inks, and the combination of all the paper, must take up some time at the printers, I will ask them if they have such a profile.

Would I place the profile in photoshop and then in workspace secelt it for use, or convert to profile.

Please excuse my basic knowledge of these issues.

And thanks again for responding
R
Ram
Dec 22, 2006
CONVERT to their profile at the end, but ONLY if they want you to, otherwise give them a file with an embedded device-independent profile. ASK them first.

Don’ do anything without asking them first.

Of course, "they have such a profile." πŸ˜€ They would not be in business if they didn’t. Whether they want to give it to you or expect a file in a device-independent profile is the question.
RM
Rick McCleary
Dec 22, 2006
Royce –

You will encounter a wide range of practices among printers. In the ideal world, "they have such a profile." This is a laughable assertion at the majority of printers in the US.

Here’s what you’ll find:
1) A small minority of print shops are fully color-managed, offering you custom ICC profiles of their proofer/press with an understanding of how it all works and a willingness to partner with you on getting outstanding color.
2) A larger group of printers say they are color-managed, will offer some sort of profile that may or may not work, but haven’t a clue about the whole thing.
3) The majority of printers claim they don’t use color management, and perhaps are openly hostile to the entire concept. If you want to do the CMYK conversion yourself, and are able to get through to the pre-press dept., they’ll tell you to either use a canned PS profile (like SWOP v2 – not a bad solution), or they’ll tell you to use the Custom CMYK engine and supply you with the proper setting (like Light GCR, 92%K, 320% total ink – or something like that).

The bottom line is that, unless you’re able to shop around for a printer in the first example, you’re at the printer’s mercy. It’s to your advantage to do whatever they tell you, even if it’s from the 1980’s. There’s no reason to spend time telling a non-color managed printer the error of his ways. Whatever works for them will work for you. Communication is the single most important factor in a successful printing job.
RD
Royce_Dodds
Dec 22, 2006
Hi Rick,

Many thanks fo your responce, this is very useful to me, the more information I recieve on this matter the better I will understand. While I will not understand all that you or others are saying(posting) I am learnig rather quickly, and will use the resources at hand lo learn.

I am greateful for all feedback.

On a lighter note, I wish each of you a good Holiday. And again thank you for all your feedback
RM
Rick McCleary
Dec 22, 2006
Royce –

In light of the fact that you are on the steep part of the learning curve, I’d suggest that you spend the time to find a printer who IS color-managed, who DOES understand this stuff, and who is WILLING to spend time with you as you learn "on-the-job". If you do find such a printer, you will have a true partner to work with now and into the future. Printing offset is very different than printing inkjet — you need to work with an expert, it’s not a "push-button" process.

….and a Very Merry Christmas to you. too!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections