KR
Posted By
Kirk_Reynolds
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK color experts, we need a definitive answer. In a typical, profiled inkjet workflow, do we want to set the Source Space to Profile (thus matching our soft-proof) or is it better/the same/worse to set the Souce Space to Document (e.g., AdobeRGB98). You can assume that the Print Space will, of course, be the actual profile.

We have read several experts who contradict each other on this issue, yet the results *seem* to be identical to the "other" principal method, namely convert to profile, then use Source Space:Document and Print Space:Same as source.

So, what is the answer, if any? And if they are the same, just what the heck is Source Space:Profile *really* supposed to be used for?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 13, 2003
Set the destination space to printer color management, unless you have a media profile defined. See Ian Lyons’ most excellent site < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm> on color managment.

Peace,
Tony
IL
Ian_Lyons
Nov 13, 2003
Kirk,

We have read several experts who contradict each other on this issue, yet the results *seem* to be identical to the "other" principal method, namely convert to profile, then use Source Space:Document and Print Space:Same as source.

Simply doing as you describe both options should produce the same result. Leaving the conversion to the print driver has the advantage of preventing the less than switched on user screwing their images becasue they not only coverted the image to a printer profile but also saved it. You don’t want to know the number of folk who email me with "how do fix this mistake" type questions!

So to answer your question: Whilst you description of the softproof method is useful it wasn’t necessarilly the original intent. This method is intended to allow you to cross render your prints i.e. make softproof prints. Say you only had an Epson 2200 but your final output was to be a Lightjet or SWOPP Press (in fact any printer other than a 2200). With this feature you can use your 2200 as a let’s pretend XYZ printer. If you read the section towards the bottom of the following page you should get the idea.

<http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/15310-2.html>

It’s a VERY useful feature!
KR
Kirk_Reynolds
Nov 13, 2003
Ian,

I read Bruce’s explanation and now, finally, can put this simple "house-keeping" issue aside. The troubles began with certain profile makers and service bureaus who *insist* that a profiled inkjet workflow must go from Proof>Profile, whereas Bruce makes it clear that the intended procedure was and is to go from Document>Profile. IOW, just convert the darned file once, and be done with it.

What Bruce makes clear is that if it wasn’t for the "fail-safe" built into PS which disallows a double conversion to the same profile space, the use of Proof>Profile would cause an unecessary loss of file imformation. Regardless, as you have noted, the fail-safe allows both methods to do the job.

FWIW, I also spoke with an Adobe PS tech today who said one can take that article by Bruce as "gospel." He finished by saying that they have tried, in vain, to explain this to a few certain individuals, but said "some people just don’t want to listen."
IL
Ian_Lyons
Nov 13, 2003
"some people just don’t want to listen."

Tell me about it 😉

I could probably tell you their names (as could Bruce)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections