Posted By
Michael Mueller
May 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I really wonder why the command "Convert to Profile" ( e.g. from Monitor RGB to Europe ISO Coated CMYK) leads to different appearance on screen than the change mode to CMYK command under the image menu.

"Convert to Profile" does obviously the same conversion than the "View / Proof Colors".
Why does the "Mode CMYK" command comes to different results? I would resume this command looks up to the Color Settings / Working Spaces / CMYK, where my default "Europe ISO Coated" is the same, than in my "Convert to Profile" used one.
Maybe the "change mode" command does not use any profiles by default?

Thank you
Michael M

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 9, 2005
Michael Mueller wrote:
Hello,
I really wonder why the command "Convert to Profile" ( e.g. from Monitor RGB to Europe ISO Coated CMYK) leads to different appearance on screen than the change mode to CMYK command under the image menu.

Normally it would, provided your Working RGB space is set to your Monitor RGB. This is the case if you have color management turned off. Both of these are unusual situations and I would suggest that you reconsider using a different space, such as sRGB, as your working color space.

"Convert to Profile" does obviously the same conversion than the "View / Proof Colors".

Actually it may look the same, but it’s different. View/Proof Colors, also called "Soft Proofing" uses profiles to simulate the appearance of the printed page on your monitor, and this is different in several ways from converting to that CMYK profile.

Why does the "Mode CMYK" command comes to different results? I would resume this command looks up to the Color Settings / Working Spaces / CMYK, where my default "Europe ISO Coated" is the same, than in my "Convert to Profile" used one.
Maybe the "change mode" command does not use any profiles by default?

"Change Mode" uses the CMYK profile specified in your Color Settings, and additional parameters which includes the CMYK profile, intent, black point compensation. If all three of these match the settings in Comvert to Profile the results will be the same.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections