Posted By
robert_bourassa
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best way to create a glow.
I have 2 files, one with a 100% black background.
Another with C50 M50 Y50 K30 background.
I’m trying to create a white radial glow with 100% in the center and 0% knocking out of these 2 backgrounds.
All of my attempts end up banding during the output.
Is there a sure fire right way of achieving a smooth gradation?

Also, why does Photoshop Lounge keep coming during my searches? It’s like some sort of SPAM, I don’t really care about 14 year-old Matt Savage, jazz pianist or Yoko Ono.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bernie
Dec 15, 2006
Also, why does Photoshop Lounge keep coming during my searches?

’cause the lounge Pandas like to talk about bands? (FYI, the lounge is where we go to goof off and relax and talk about music)

A search for gradient banding reduces the lounge hits

Check this thread out:

Donald Reese, "Creating a Smooth Gradient?" #1, 21 Sep 2006 12:09 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
J
JasonSmith
Dec 16, 2006
One possible quick solution would be to add a little noise in the layer style’s glow setting.

There are numerous potential sources of banding, from limitations of the file’s bit resolution, or your output device’s limitations. Finding a single cure for every type of banding is impossible.

In 8 bit images, you have 256 steps between 0%-100% opacity (really 256 little ‘bands). If you go from 0%-50%, you’ve just made the bands twice as thick (128 bands).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections