JH
Posted By
Jason_Hegwood
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why do I get this message when I am saving? "Could not build a preview because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered" I cannot understand why I get this. I am using a Dual 2.0 G5 with 2gb RAM (1288mb for Photoshop alone) and a ton a scratch space. The files themselves are only 120mb. This should not be too big for any problems to arise.
10.3.4 OSX and Photoshop CS.
The error is not hindering me in anyway.
I expect not to get these errors, that is why I am asking. Why, Why, Why?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jul 15, 2004
An End Of File Error means the file is damaged. If you think it’s a bogus message, further trouble shooting is warranted.

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, cease and desist immediately. That’s a BIG no-no.

See:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local HD, work on it, save it again to your HD, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2004
How and where did the file originate?
You are not saving across the network are you?
R
Ram
Jul 15, 2004
Also: Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
PT
Paul_Tracy
Jul 16, 2004
weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

With CronniX <http://www.koch-schmidt.de/cronnix/> you can change the times of the system crontab. I have mine running early afternoon so that I know they’ll be done regularly.

And its free.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 16, 2004
Cocktail does a lot more than just running the Cron scripts.

You COULD do this in Terminal but Cocktail is easier and, at six bucks, it shouldn’t break the bank.
JH
Jason_Hegwood
Jul 21, 2004
I am not saving over a network. I have repaired permissions before and after a save. A lot of the eps’ that I save, I created. It is only eps’, not tiffs or other formats. I have to save as an eps because Color Burst RIP sukz. It will not scale tiffs properly. Any eps over 100mb, I will get an error. The preview will not save, but the eps will save. This is not a major problem, this is a curiosity question. I am not running Nortons either. I turned that off because of the Illustrator temp file problems.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2004
Which kind of Preview did you choose?

Although it works for me on 140MB files with either Tiff or JPG previews and ASCII, ASCII85 or Binary encoding.

Try putting your Photoshop Scratch on a separate internal HD from your System HD and also decreasing Photoshop CS’s memory usage to 65%.
WG
William_Glassco
Jul 28, 2004
I don’t know if the situation is exactly the same, but I had a file (Photoshop psd) which I couldn’t open in Photoshop because of encountering an unexpected end-of-file. I assumed the same problem (corrupt file), but was unwilling to wade through a stack of DVD backups to find an uncorrupted copy (yes, I do need to inventory them). The corrupt file was created by the same copy of Photoshop 7 I was trying to open it with (on the same machine, a dual 1 GHz G4), so I went ahead and reinstalled Photoshop. No luck. Tried openning it in ImageReady 7, also without luck. Also tried openning it up in JPEGView (3.3.1—classic application), Preview (whatever version comes with OS 10.3), as well as in Photoshop 5.5 (classic environment), all without luck (well Preview did open to a solid black window). Oh, and I also tried opening it in Photoshop Elements 2.0, also without success. But when I tried openning it in ImageReady 2.0 (classic environment) it opened without a hitch. I saved it in its original format and had no trouble subsequently in opening the file in Photoshop 7.0.
JH
Jason_Hegwood
Aug 11, 2004
Macintosh (8-Bit) was the problem. WTF
I used TIFF (8-Bit) and it worked.

Problem solved. Thanx to all.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections