EL
Posted By
Erin_Lubiansky
Oct 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m wondering if it’s possible to dock the palettes on the side of the screen (tools on the left and the rest on the right) so that the image does not go under them. I do not want to dock them to the palette wall. I want them all to be visible and accessible at the same time. Right now, they float over top of the image.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 25, 2006
Click on the zoom tool. Then look in the options bar. Is the box checked that says "Ignore Palettes"? If so, uncheck it, and the image won’t go under the palettes anymore.
EL
Erin_Lubiansky
Oct 26, 2006
I tried that and it still goes under the palettes.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 26, 2006
Uhm, well then it’s truly abnormal behavior, because that is what that settign is for. Why don’t you take a screenshot of it doing it (with the zoom tool selected) and then post it on the web and tell us the link.

If you don’t have a place to post it, use one of these:

<http://www.imageshack.us/>
ImageShack® – Hosting

<http://www.pixentral.com/>
Pixentral
EL
Erin_Lubiansky
Oct 26, 2006
<http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/4492/screenshotme8.png>

I think maybe that I’m missing some crucial piece of information that everyone else knows.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 26, 2006
Ah. No, you’re not missing crucial information. You’re using Full Screen view (F toggle), and that’s bound to happen. The only way around it is to have a second monitor and move your palettes to it. Another option is to temporarily toggle your palettes off (tab).

In that specific example, I would just use the hand tool and move the image to the left.
EL
Erin_Lubiansky
Oct 26, 2006
Huh? According to this, I’m in standard screen mode.

<http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7081/clipboard01vp7.png>

Or are you talking about how I maximized the image window?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 26, 2006
I’m having trouble reading your screen – specifically I had trouble deciphering the icons in the upper right. Now I see that you have it Maximized, not in full screen – my apologies. I’m speaking of the Image Window.

If you choose to Maximize your image window, you have more limitations than if you begin to get used to using the F key to toggle full screen modes. Specifically, if you use Full Screen mode, you can use the hand tool to move your image all around.

In CS or CS2 they implemented the ability to move past the image borders, so that when you are zoomed up to the edge of an image you can move it and see the precise edge without the image window border getting in the way. Prior to that implementation, I never used Full Screen mode – I never saw the difference between it and Maximize of the Image Window.

Now however, with the new implementation, I always use full screen mode instead of Maximize precisely because you can move the image around and not have to hide the palettes.

So if adding a second monitor isn’t an option, you can try using Full Screen mode instead – that, in combinaiton with the tab keys gives you a lot of real estate.
KV
Klaas Visser
Oct 26, 2006
Or are you talking about how I maximized the image window?

This is why the "Ignore Palettes" setting is being ignored. By maximising the image window, you’ve placed it under the palettes.

If you change back to an un-maximised image window, then the "Ignore Palettes" setting will function the way you want.

If you want to keep your image window maximised, then the only solution, as Tony states, is to move your palettes off to a second monitor (if you have one), or temporarily hide them (Tab key to hide all, including Toolbox and option bar, or Shift+Tab to keep those two).
KV
Klaas Visser
Oct 26, 2006
Sorry Tony, you’d beaten me to it, my only excuse is that my news reader hadn’t refreshed, and I didn’t see your reply, until after I’d posted mine. 🙂
EL
Erin_Lubiansky
Oct 26, 2006
I’m having trouble reading your screen – specifically I had trouble deciphering the icons in the upper right.

Heh, sorry about that. It’s because of the visual style I’m using. I guess I’ve just grown used to it.

Thanks YrbkMgr and Klaas Visser. I’m used to working with Paint Shop Pro, where the workspace is between the docked palettes and the toolbox, whether it’s maximized or not. But I guess I’ll have to use Full Screen Mode for Photoshop now.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 26, 2006
Erin,

If you want your palettes out of the way, why not use the TAB key?

Rob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections