How do I make an image more transparent so I can….

BH
Posted By
Beth Haney
Aug 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this one!!

(First make sure you’re working on a copy of our image – you don’t want ever want to mess up your only original.)

Open the image and your Layers palette. Double click on the background layer, which will "simplify" it. You’ll be asked to rename it, and I usually just let it go with copy 1, or whatever pops up. Once you’ve simplified the layer, you’ll notice a box marked "Opacity" at the upper right corner of the Layers palette. It defaults to 100%. Just move the slider downward until you get the amount of transparency you want.

Edit: Dang you’re fast this morning, Barbara! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Aug 1, 2003
Yes, but you’re thorough, Beth! 8^)
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 1, 2003
"Thorough." Is that another way of saying I take the long way and uses bunches and bunches of extra words? 🙂 Yes! That’s me!
R
Ray
Aug 1, 2003
And Beth, that’s a very handy habit! Sometimes, people post only short answers. Yours are really helpfull because with the tons of explanation there is in each, your answers can be used for a variety of situation. Good habit, keep it 🙂

Ray
P
Phosphor
Aug 1, 2003
Deborah, if you mean you only want parts of the image to be transparent and not the whole image, then the best way to do it is to select the parts you want to transfer and then on the background image do a new layer via copy, if I’m understanding you correctly.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 1, 2003
I think she doesn’t want the white of the b&w and just the black to show. Sometimes just changing the blending mode achieves this. I think the ‘overlay’ or hard and soft light work for this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections