Memory Errors when trying to open PSD files created with Photoshop CS in Photoshop 5

AD
Posted By
Alex_Dziena
Nov 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry, I’m new to the forums but haven’t seen this in any other threads or in the FAQ.

I’m attempting to design layered files for a client who is using Photoshop 5 on a PC running Windows NT with 512mb ram (estimated, I haven’t actually seen the machine). I’m saving to PSD format using Photoshop CS on OS 10.4 with Maximize Compatibility turned on. The resulting file sizes are no more than 8.2mb with no color information (all the files are grayscale) but contain up to 26 layers. When he attempts to open them in 5, he receives a memory error (not enough memory), even though he’s able to open much larger files regularly (although it doesn’t appear that he’s working with any other layered files). Does anyone have a work around for this? I can’t really merge the layers any further (they are all type layers) and I’ve tried saving as Tiff with layer information to no avail.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections