Nyholm_Kustaa
Oct 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve now spent two hours trying to find out how to delete file

/Adobe Photoshop CS2/Legal.localized/Tie??ng Vie??t.html

which the trial versin of CS2 left on my Mac OS X 10.4 harddisk. Seems I’m not alone. Tried all the tricks like trying to find out the inode of the file and delete by it, but you can’t. It appears that the Vietnamize? characters in the name are the problem.

On forum entry suggested that "search adobe site for a fix" … been here for an hour and can’t find it. Maybe it is just me 😉

Anyway, somebody please help, this is causing a lot of problems with my back up software as it cannot copy that file and stops because of it.

cheers Kusti

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
I put mine in the Trash and emptied it.

have you done a get info to see if the file is locked?

Cocktail has a "Delete locked or inaccessible item" function.
NK
Nyholm_Kustaa
Oct 19, 2006
Hi, thanks for the tip.
But alas, that did not work for me. Did it realy work for you? Have checked your Trash/disk that it is not lurking somewhere?

Anyway, what ever I do I get the same message:

"No such file or directory"

I’ve researched this now quite a bit and the problem realy seems to be the Vietnamize characters. So I’m supprised if you were able to delete that file, a lot of folks seem to be uble. It is true that the file is owned by system but usign ‘sudo rm *’ from the terminal/command line which usuallu delates anything reports the same. Some people have booted into single user mode (what ever it is) and with administrator rights tried to delete it, but no luck.

I’ve tried to rename the file. Same story. I’ve tried to find out the unix inode number for the file. No can do, you get the "no such" error. I’ve managed to get the inode number for the containing directory but removing that directory seems to lead first deleting the problematic file, and no luck.

What I’ve done, is that I’ve moved the file, or actually the directory that contains the file ( as you can do none with file itself) to a new root directory that I namede ‘/z’. This is the last place my backup software checks so even though back is interrupted, it is the very last file that does not get backked up, so who cares…

But I would like to remove it (without reformating the disk and storing back from the backup).

As the actual problem is caused by Adobe (or their installer) I was hoping that somebody from Adobe would pick up the ball and tell us what to do. Like I wrote, on one forum somebody said that they (Adobe) have a fix for this problem. And it seem logical that they have it but I have not been able to find it.
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
Did it realy work for you?

Yup. did it on the G4.

just realized I had not done it on my G5 just did it again.

be sure to update your system to 10.4.8

10.4 has too many problems
NK
Nyholm_Kustaa
Oct 19, 2006
Yup. did it on the G4.

just realized I had not done it on my G5 just did it again.

be sure to update your system to 10.4.8

10.4 has too many problems

Interesting, that is works for you. On my 10.4.8 MacBook Pro (Dual Core Intel) is just doesn’t work!

Thanks for testing it on your machine again.
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
Mactel maybe the problem.

try Cocktail
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 19, 2006
I agree that perhaps this is a MacIntel problem because I was certainly able to trash all of them on my G5.

There is a /Legal folder for EACH Adobe program that you have installed on your computer.

I trashed ALL the other files in the /Legal folders, except for "International English.html", but I left the Folder itself in place because I believe that you run into problems when updating if the /Legal folders are missing.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 19, 2006
This is not an Adobe problem, but a MacOS problem.
MacOS X has a bug dealing with certain unicode scripts, in this case Vietnamese.

Apple is supposed to be working on a fix.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 19, 2006
Wouldn’t it be better if Adobe Legal just dropped their insistence on the Vietnamese file being installed in the first place?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 19, 2006
The installer and files are already out there – there’s nothing we can do about it now.

It’s up to Apple to fix the unicode script problem (and their file system dependence on unicode translation).
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
Hmmm. I had to reinstall Photoshop 9 from scratch after the withdrawn 9.0.2 update when I was running Panther, then updated to the definitive 9.0.2, and ultimately upgraded to Tiger 10.4.8.

The interesting part is that the "Legal.localized" folder does NOT exist on my computer. There’s a folder labeled plain "Legal", which contains only one file, "International English.html".

I could conceivably have deleted other files in that folder, but under no circumstances would I have changed the name of the folder itself.

Maybe the 9.0.2 update does that?
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
Maybe the 9.0.2 update does that?

Nope I had all the files because I forgot to delete them on the G5. unless the new 9.0.2 deleted then I ran the first 9.0.2.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 19, 2006
I don’t remember ever having a "Legal.localized" folder. I only have the plain "Legal" folders (but there is one of those in every one of my Adobe applications’ folders) and I have purged all of the foreign language files from them.
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
I know the "Legal.localized" folder was there at one point.

I did a forum search and found a thread where we were making explicit reference to it:

Ramón G Castañeda, "Script’s Got a Hold of Me!" #4, 28 Nov 2005 9:23 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/3>
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
Kusti,

By the way, you are quitting Photoshop before attempting to delete that file, right?

And does your account have full administrator privileges?
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
Try moving the file to the Trash. Log out of your account. Restart the Mac. Log back in and empty the trash.

If *that* does not work, then it’s either a MacIntel problem or you have some serious corruption somewhere on your system.
NK
Nyholm_Kustaa
Oct 20, 2006
Ramon,

thansk for the tips, but I have tried and I just retried that. Have admin rights, trashed the file, repaired rights, tried to empty trash, repaired rights, rebooted, repaired rights, tried to empty trash. No luck.

And no, I’m not running Photoshop, I do not have Photoshop anymore, it was just a trial version that my daughther, bless her litle heart, installed without asking me. I trashed the Photoshop folder as any good Mac Citizen would do and everythin appart from that d**n file was trashed.

Being a programmer I’m pretty confident that this is a problem deep down in the system where something is, by design and for good reason, preventing bad characters kreeping through via commands into the system which makes it impossible to access files by bad name in case those bad chars do get into to the system.

So I suspect that it will need to be some special utility or patch program that can by pass the normal checks on file names and actually delete the file or repair the name at much lower level than normal commands work. I’m pretty confident I could do that in C but as there are a number of people with the same problem and this realy is caused by Adobe software I feel somebody else, Adobe or Apple would leap into mind, should do this.

cheers Kusti
NK
Nyholm_Kustaa
Oct 20, 2006
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Ah, as I suspected, both Apple and Adobe both new about this problem and had a solution but I just could not find it. The problem was as I had found out the illegal chars in the Vietnamizs names.

The way I found out about the solution was when I described my problem to my backup software provide and they promptly pointed me to the solution. I highly recommend Carbon Copy Cloner and their support.

The links to the solution can be found from their forum at:

<http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?p=31300#31300>

and the actual links are:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332657.html>

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302411>

Thank you everybody who chipped in!

cheers Kusti
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2006
The characters in the file name are not illegal. The OS _thinks_ they are illegal because it has bad unicode translation tables.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2006
See if Trash Locked Files v.1.1 will solve the problem:
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18227>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections