Conundrum
Oct 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all
I have a question which Im sure has a simple answer

how do I select two layers at a time which aren’t directly underneath eachother in the layer palette?
I’ve been doing shift/click to select more than one at a time. Which is fine sometimes. But if i want to simply move a shape on layer 2, at the same time as a shape on layer 8… i dont want all the layers in between to move too.

So, can someone please advise

thanks!
con

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JS
John_Slate
Oct 16, 2006
in the layer palette:

click layer2

click the box to the right of the eye on layer8 to link them

now they will move in unison
B
Buko
Oct 16, 2006
in the layer palette:

select layer one

hold down the command key and select layer two

this way you don’t have to link the layers.
C
Conundrum
Oct 16, 2006
hello

I dont have that box… I used to be able to do that, with Photoshop 6 etc… but there is no longer that box to link with…
B
Buko
Oct 16, 2006
what version?
JS
John_Slate
Oct 16, 2006
In CS1 you can only select one layer at a time.

Shift-click does nothing

Cmd-click loads the transparency of the layer as a selection
C
Conundrum
Oct 16, 2006
this is CS2
But you just gave me the answer accidentally…
it IS command-click, to select two layers which aren’t on top of eachother…

Shift-click selects all layers in between

thanks a lot fellas
con
S
SteveV
Oct 16, 2006
Buko gave you the right answer, you just didn’t get it.
B
Buko
Oct 16, 2006
Nobody reads post #2

except Steve
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 16, 2006
Buko is saying: In CS2 you can shift-click contiguous layers to select them; and you can command-click discontiguous layers to select them.

The more pressing question is: Whoever came up with a word like "contiguous"? It sounds sticky and gooey and vaguely lascivious.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 17, 2006
And here I never had realize how different the layers pallete is from CS1 to CS2!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 18, 2006
For Doug:

contiguous adjective sharing a common border; touching : the 48 contiguous states. DERIVATIVES contiguously adverb ORIGIN early 16th cent.: from Latin contiguus ‘touching,’ from the verb contingere ‘be in contact, befall’ (see contingent ), + -ous .>

Latin — and definitely "lascivious"!
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 18, 2006
For Ann:

OK, showoff. Now how about ‘contumacious’?

Also Latin? Definitely not "lascivious." But maybe "Ann." and "Doug."
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 18, 2006
That’s me!

Always has been — but then, until yesterday, we did have the protection of Habeus Corpus.

B(
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 18, 2006
No need for such safeguards when you’re contumacious. Any person willing to aggress against a computer simply to create a pretext for the purchase of a newer, faster, better model has absolutely no need whatsoever for Habeas Corpus. Besides, wasn’t the writ introduced by some pansy King in England anyway?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 18, 2006
The right to demand a writ of Habeus Corpus goes back to the 13th century but the Founding Fathers seemed to think the idea had merit:

This procedure, part of English common law, was considered important enough to be specifically mentioned in the United States Constitution, which says, "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion, the public Safety may require it." (Article One, section nine). >

But that changed yesterday and, what horrifies me, is that virtually no-one seems to have noticed — or to care!

B(

[The jury remains out as to whether dysfunctional G4s have any right to appeal their summary execution.]
B
Bernie
Oct 18, 2006
But that changed yesterday and, what horrifies me, is that virtually no-one seems to have noticed — or to care!

I noticed and I care enough to reduce my travels to the States to a minimum as a result…
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
Don’t go talking about our lost rights or you will be labeled a terrorist.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 19, 2006
And don’t say a word against Rumsfeld because, in addition to the President, he also has the power to declare you to be an "Enemy Combatant" and make you one of the "Disappeared".

We should all be very very scared — these people now have given themselves Stalinist powers.
B
Bernie
Oct 19, 2006
"“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

Joseph Goebbels
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 19, 2006
I’m with you all the way on this Ann. A guy in Iraq that wants Ali’s house can inform on him and he can be locked up in Cuba for the rest of his life. Its sickening what this country is becoming.

I keep hearing if the dems are elected the troops will be pulled out of Iraq and that means all the ones that have been killed will have died in vain. So we need to get more killed?

If the dems are elected and they pull out the troops Iraq will become a haven for terrorisits. It’s Orwellian doublespeak and I’m really not exaggerating.

And lastly I heard a very popular radio host saying if the dems are elected we will have National Healthcare. Oh my God, Americans being able to see doctors again.

Its sad, especially if you are old enough to know better days and people/politicians.

alan
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
A fraction of the Halabuton welfare program could have given health care to all Americans.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 19, 2006
Wasn’t there 9 billion dollars that is unaccounted for? That certainly would have helped.

Its disgusting. Then they wave the flag, talk terror terror, fear, gay marriage (but who needs gay marriage when you have all those young pages).

One thing I really like about these forums is you can say what you like. I’ve already been tosse off Maccentral and somewhere else (like I care to remember) for being political or "off-topic"

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 19, 2006
One thing I really like about these forums is you can say what you like.

But don’t say a word against R******* or B*** or you too could be among the "Disappeared"!

[In case you missed it, a fourteen-year-old girl put an anti-Bush message on her MySpace page (it was only up for a few hours before a teacher suggested that she should remove it) and the FBI turned-up at her school and dragged her out of class for questioning.]

Stalinesque ?
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
Yes and we want to force democracy on other nations at the point of a gun.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 19, 2006
The next edition of Webster’s will no doubt include an American word for "Gulag" — perhaps it will just be "Gitmo"?
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 19, 2006
The problem with you people is you are too educated. American voters are scornful of smart, educated people. The liberal college elite and all that blather.

How else could someone that doesn’t read get elected president?

I have to go before my head explodes.
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2006
I happen to live in one of the most conservative, safely Republican counties in California (the one that keeps sending John Doolittle to Congress). The voters appear more concerned about… well, I wish I knew what they are concerned about. Sigh…
B
Bernie
Oct 19, 2006
How else could someone that[sic] doesn’t read get elected president?

"The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Mencken
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2006
and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

like right now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 19, 2006
Like right now … surrounded by cunning, profiteering and totally unscrupulous puppeteers pulling the strings.
OO
Omke_Oudeman
Oct 20, 2006
Hear Hear!

Let this be a warning, never start a topic with an easy question 🙂
L
Lundberg02
Oct 20, 2006
Let me remind you that people will be killed right here in the USA for expressing anti Muslim thoughts as the next step in undermining our system. I kinda think it’s already happened. We can’t live in a fairy tale of " freedom" with crazy terrorists running around.
G
graffiti
Oct 20, 2006
Welcome to the Photoshop lounge.
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 20, 2006
May I suggest all of you follow C.Nomad’s lead: H.L. Mencken has the answers to all our questions. Really he does. And he lived and worked in BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, USA! And he was NOT especially "educated"! And he’s DEAD! But, man, did he know what was happening within and outside the social order and why. Lucid writing, Gimlet mind.

Personally, I’m convinced it was the inveterate cigar smoking. I regret he’s not a contributor to our forum.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Oct 20, 2006
"Let this be a warning, never start a topic with an easy question"

Yes, with a thread title like "Easy question" you can be sure this one will go into 15,000 posts.

A thread title like "How do I select and move multiple layers?" would have only required one responding post.

easy answer:

It’s impossible.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections