JI
Posted By
J.I.M.
Oct 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Wondering if anyone has experience printing b&w photos in process colour. I have a number of archival pics in a full colour book and would like to give them more punch. So far I’m thinking: make a duotone (like black and warm gray) and then convert that to CMYK. I’ve never done this and want to avoid surprises at press time, like too much ink coverage, etc.

TIA, (this is also posted on WIndows forum)
Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AR
alan_ruta
Oct 7, 2006
Do you want to keep them looking bw but fuller (fuller dot) or do you want some cast, warm, cool, slightly sepia?

alan
JI
J.I.M.
Oct 7, 2006
Not exactly sure at this stage. What are your suggestions for acheiving either fuller black or a cast, warm or slightly sepia? thanks
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 7, 2006
You wouldn’t convert your duotone to CMYK, you would just print it as a duotone, using two colors. If you want to simply print a four color black and white, you will probably want to use a fairly heavy black generation version of your CMYK profile to put most of the image on the black plate and just enough on the others to both keep it neutral and give it the punch you want. It all depends on the type of print job and if there are other full color four color images to print on the same page.
JI
J.I.M.
Oct 8, 2006
Thank you for the input.
The job is process. I can experiment loading the PS quadtones, or similar, and play with the curves. Curious if anyone has experience printing similar.
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 9, 2006
If the job is process, then quadtones are not going to help you. You need to separate using the inks you’re going to print with. Just convert to your CMYK output profile, but hopefully one with a heavy black generation and then tweak the image to give whatever tone you want.
JI
J.I.M.
Oct 9, 2006
I was referring to PhotoShop’s Process/CMYK quadtones. The curves graphs give you a very good sense of ink coverage.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections