Pantone Process colour in Photoshop 7 has wrong CMYK?

SB
Posted By
Sonia_Bratley
Apr 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using the Pantone solid Coated colour book, if you select for instance Process black, and then select colour picker – it should be C0 M0 Y0 K100, but actually shows C73 M67 Y65 K78. Why is this? I’m sure this wasn’t always the case. is there a setting that I’m missing, as its causing great condusion when trying to colourmatch. Any Ideas!?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Apr 22, 2005
Choose Solid process Euro then you get 100K

depending how black you want your black to be and coverage, sometimes is is a good idea to print a dark blue, then a black on top of this.
SB
Sonia_Bratley
Apr 22, 2005
Solid process Euro isn’t in the dropdown menu, does it not come with photoshop 7 as standard?

I just used the black as an example, but all the pantone colours when going to picker have a different CMYK value than they should have.
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Apr 22, 2005
Sonia,

Pantone Solid Process Black is a spot color, and spots are defined by Lab values, here 9/0/0.
These Lab values are converted to CMYK values according to the actual CMYK profile. Therefore the results are different for different profiles (CMYK working spaces).

In other words: NEVER use spots unless the color is printed by a spot PLATE.
CMYK colors should be chosen directly by CMYK values.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
B
BobLevine
Apr 22, 2005
Gernot is correct. Additionally, Pantone has a habit of changing their CMYK definitions. PS 7.0 was released three years ago and has been replaced with PS CS and now CS 2. Adobe uses definitions that are available at the time of release but they don’t get updated.

Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 22, 2005
Sonia – no, the Euro book came out after Photoshop 7 shipped.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections