JL
Posted By
Jan_Lorenc
Sep 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know that this is very elementary, but how might I add horizontal white lines to my image in the style of the very subtle lines on this image:

< http://img.getactivehub.com/dawn/custom_images/logcabin/page photo01.gif>

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
Use the line tool to draw the lines?
JL
Jan_Lorenc
Sep 7, 2006
Sure, but is there a way to replicate a line easily and have it spaced apart at increments from the others?

Thanks.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
Maybe it would be easier to place the image into Illustrator where you can step and repeat a line (and then easily vary the width) to lay over the image.

alan
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 7, 2006

1. Make a new layer set to overlay or soft light mode, filled 50% gray

2. Filter>Sketch>Halftone Pattern. Pattern Type: Line. Size and Contrast set to taste.

3. Adjust opacity of this new layer to taste.

PS: Set Foreground and Background colors to default before using halftone filter.
JL
Jan_Lorenc
Sep 7, 2006
Awesome.

Thanks, Doug.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 7, 2006
I think those are simply an overlay of white lines over an image that has its own tone. Do the lines in Illustrator, use a blend to get the number of lines you want and bring that art into Photoshop on a layer where you can play with relative overall size. You may need to go at this a few times to get the exact look relative to final image size you wind up using.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 8, 2006
I’m with you on this Ken, but don’t you think it would be even more flexible to bring the image into illustrator?

alan
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 8, 2006
"it would be even more flexible to bring the image into illustrator?"

Yes, that would make the process easier.

So, alan, how would you save the final placed image? Place an Illustrator file? Export to another format (PDF?) and place that in InDesign? I guess it would help to know what the final application is. The goal, I would think, would be to have an image with tone, yet also have lines that maintain vector sharpness laid over the top of the image.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 8, 2006
I think I would save and export from Illustrator, although doing a blend in illustrator for the lines is probably the best idea it could one could also place the original image in ID and do a step and repeat of white lines.

Either one works for me.

alan
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 8, 2006
Ja, we have so many nice choices to work with these days.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections