JS
Posted By
John_Slate
Sep 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As long as you are embedding a Photoshop PDF into Illustrator you might want to take the time to release the clipping mask on the embedded raster that defines the fill color of the vector shape from Photoshop, delete said raster and reapply a fill color in Illustrator.

Why store an embedded raster that is comprised of all the same color pixels to do the job of a vector fill?

I would do the same thing with type layers from a Photoshop PDF. All those nasty little embedded rasters do nothing but chew up disk space and cause potential problems on some types of rips.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 3, 2006
It’s a good point, John. You remind me that in situations like this, I’ve sometimes Placed into Illustrator from Photoshop ONLY the drop shadow and set it behind an Illustrator-drawn vector shape (or Illustrator type).

In fact in the case under present discussion, the only reason I went to Photoshop at all was for the drop shadow (I don’t like – trust really – the drop shadow Effect or Filter within Illustrator… insufficient control for my taste). So I really could have painted JUST the shadow in Photoshop and Placed it, obviating the need for the steps you recommend.

(As it turns out, I decided not to use PS at all. I made a vector drop shadow with a blend… a technique I learned from John McWade yonks ago….)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 3, 2006
… a technique I learned from John McWade yonks ago….

Ah, the spread of the English language … !

😉
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 3, 2006
That was purely for your amusement. I don’t think I could bring myself to actually incorporate into daily usage a word claimed by a nation known to tax while forbidding representation.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 3, 2006
<< claimed by a nation known to tax while forbidding representation. >>

What?!!!

Have you not noticed what has been happening here over the last eight years and after the "Elections" during that same time frame?!!
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 4, 2006
Here? HERE?! Never. (Except in Washington, DC.)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 4, 2006
Are you, perchance, advocating a new War of Independence — this time for separation from Washington DC?!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 4, 2006
hmm..
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 4, 2006
No, actually I was referring to the residents of the District of Columbia, not the power base of politicians and government. Since DC became the Nation’s Capital, its residents have lived under the tyranny of taxation without representation… they have no full-fledged representation in either House of Representatives, yet are taxed just like you and me (not making this up.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections