IJ
Posted By
Ingmar_Jense
Sep 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have images which i have cut out in photoshop to get rid of a background. I have saved them as EPS files. When i go to place them in Quark or Illustrator the background is gone but it is replaced with a white background. In Quark I have gone to CTRL T and set it at none but that has made no difference. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Also, when I try and place a jpg which i have created in photoshop (7.0)into a file in Quark, it just shows a white block with no image- it doesn’t even preview in the ‘Find File’.
Help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Sep 1, 2004
Ingmar,

You don’t mention which version of Quark it is, but there was a freebie "transparent eps" xtension in the quark web site for situations like that (I don’t remember if the EPS printed all right in spite of the white background, by the way).

As for the jpeg, you’ve got to uncheck "save with preview in the Photoshop preferences (odd, isn’t it?). But those jpegs already saved won’t get visible and you’ll lose quality if you resave them as jpeg…

If you place the pics inside the ill eps files you ‘may’ have troubles afterwards with Quark if you have spot inks.
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Sep 1, 2004
Ingmar,

PostScript doesn´t support transparency for raster images. Convert selection into (clipping-) path.
Help/Transparency Wizzard/For Print/Save as EPS.
Something like that.
Note: such an EPS with clipping path should be correctly interpreted by any PS interpreter (hopefully by Quark).

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Sep 1, 2004
Gernot,

There was an issue when Quark passed from version 3 to 4 with white backgrounds in vectorial EPS. People complained and Quark spitted a freebie plug-in to restore ‘old’ behaviour. I think this might be what Ingmar refers to.

See, now I know a bit of paleonthology 😉 Amazing Quark! LOL
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Sep 1, 2004
Gustavo,

maybe maybe, but a RASTER image EPS with transparent parts without a clipping path doesn´t work in any application. Ingmar was talking about an "image which was cut out". Shouldn´t we assume a selection in a raster image ?

Vector EPS are transparent by definition in areas where
nothing is drawn.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Sep 2, 2004
There was an issue when Quark passed from version 3 to 4 with white backgrounds in vectorial EPS. People complained and Quark spitted a freebie plug-in to restore ‘old’ behaviour.

I’ve never had problems importing Photoshop EPS images with clipping paths into Quark versions 3.x and 4.x — in both Windows and Mac operating systems. Behavior has always been as expected.

Gustavo, can you point us to this Quark-issued "freebie plug-in" to which you refer?

=-= Harron =-=
S
Scarecrow
Sep 9, 2004
In article ,
wrote:

I have images which i have cut out in photoshop to get rid of a background. I have saved them as EPS files. When i go to place them in Quark or Illustrator the background is gone but it is replaced with a white background. In Quark I have gone to CTRL T and set it at none but that has made no difference. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Also, when I try and place a jpg which i have created in photoshop (7.0)into a file in Quark, it just shows a white block with no image- it doesn’t even preview in the ‘Find File’.
Help!
If you have it, try Adobe Indesign. You can play native photoshop (PSD) directly into Indesign and keep the transparency.

If you don’t have Indesign you will have to do a clipping path on the file. Quark has a cliping function. Select the image with the hand tool in Quark and go under Item and selct clipping, white areas. It does not do a real good.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections