Prevent lines in a gradient/blurred background.

AR
Posted By
Andrea_Russell
Jul 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a dark background with a glowing center. Its a gradient that goes from the inside out. Inside is white and by the time you reach the edge its almost black. I am designing an advertisement and they will all be different dark colors.

I seem to be getting lines no matter what I do. Small lines of color like on a tree trunk. I have even added some noise to it but they are still there..

Do you have any ideas on how I can prevent that from happening. Anything you can come up with would be appreciated.
Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mitch_Redmond
Dec 12, 2006
I know this is an old post but one thing I have noticed is that it might just be your monitor. I am using a MacBook Pro and there is significant banding on the same type of gradient image even in 16-bit. I am using an external monitor as well so I moved the window over to my external monitor and the banding was almost nonexistent.

This discovery was a bit disheartening. I even took a screenshot and with dual monitors you get a screenshot for each monitor, so I opened them up in Preview and the colors were off for the different monitors but the banding was still gone for the screenshot of the external monitor.

So I experimented with the monitor settings; my MacBook and the external monitor are both set to 1680 x 1050 with Millions of colors, external monitor set at 60 Hertz refresh rate where the MacBook monitor can’t be adjusted. A factor, I would think. But what was really odd is after changing my MacBook monitor to Thousands of colors, the banding seemed less noticeable.

I’m sorry I don’t have a solution for this but just thought I’d throw out some findings.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections