How create enlarged clear text and blurred background?

SP
Posted By
Susan P
May 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I am new to Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. I have access to both on a PC. I have worked out how to do half of the steps of a task. Can someone help me with the rest please?

I want to end up with an image of a document which has a clear rectangle of enlarged text with the rest of the document blurred. How can I do that?

I can get this far:
(1) scan the document – which is probably going to be a jpeg (2) read it in to PSP or Photoshop
(3) select a rectangle
(4) blur outside the rectangle (not Photoshop as I can’t find "Invert")
(5) HOW DO I ENLARGE THE RECTANGLE OF TEXT?

I will be pleased if the result of enlarging the text is either:

(a) enlarged text within the rectangle so that the edges of the block of clear text in the original selection would get lost,

(b) the rectangle of text itself is all enlarged so that the new larger rectangle overlaps more of the blurred background.

Thank you for any help!
Susan

PS: I am not too good on these layers!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

May 17, 2006
"Susan P" wrote in message
Hello, I am new to Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. I have access to both on a PC. I have worked out how to do half of the steps of a task. Can someone help me with the rest please?

I want to end up with an image of a document which has a clear rectangle of enlarged text with the rest of the document blurred. How can I do that?

I can get this far:
(1) scan the document – which is probably going to be a jpeg (2) read it in to PSP or Photoshop
(3) select a rectangle

(a) enlarged text within the rectangle so that the edges of the block of clear text in the original selection would get lost,

(b) the rectangle of text itself is all enlarged so that the new larger rectangle overlaps more of the blurred background.
Thank you for any help!
Susan

May 17, 2006
"Susan P"

It is under ‘Select’ (top menu bar).

Work with layers. Enlarge a copy of the selection over the background, blur the background.

Like this? Just guessing: http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/tmp1.jpg
J
jenelisepasceci
May 17, 2006
Susan P wrote:

….
….
….

Evidently 😉
IMHO it is not a good idea to enlarge the text, since the necessary interpolation will inevitably result in a loss of quality. It is better to start with the orignial at a size which is perfect for the future block of clear text and decrease the size of the surrounding blurred background. Start by scanning the document at a resolution which yields a good quality clear text and clean it up as usual. Duplicate the image (Image->Duplicate). Crop the duplicate to the desired borders of the clear text area with the crop tool or by selecting the area, then Image->Crop. Decrease the size of the original image (shortcut Ctrl+Alt+i or Image->Image size; resample image must be checked) and blur it as desired. Select the cropped clear duplicate (shortcut Ctrl a; or Select->All) and pull it to the blurred original with the move tool (shortcut v). Position the clear text where you want it to appear. Consider to use a layer effect like drop shadow to enhance the contrast between the clear and blurred texts and/or to darken the blurred background somewhat. Merge down and save the document.

Peter
T
Trev
May 17, 2006

I can get this far:
(3) select a rectangle

Thank you for any help!
Susan

In PSP after the selection. Promote it to a layer You can then enlarge that layer with resize " uncheck Resize all layers" or with the Pick/deform tool. One thing though, Jpeg compression in not kind to text so Save from the scanner as tiff or better still use PSP acquire to get the image direct from the scanner.

Working with layers Means that you can alter or adjust any one layer with out affecting the others In this case you will have the background layer and a layer with the text that you want So you can blur or reduce opacity of the background to your hearts content and enlarge the text layer rotate add dropshadow, Whatever
It might be better to reduce the Background rather than enlarge the text to do that you must convert the background layer to a regular layer by right clicking it in the layers pallet and selecting promote to layer.
SP
Susan P
May 17, 2006
On 17 May 2006, 2 wrote:

"Susan P"

It is under ‘Select’ (top menu bar).

Work with layers. Enlarge a copy of the selection over the background, blur the background.

Like this? Just guessing:
http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/tmp1.jpg

Yes, just like that!
Maybe a border around the enlarged rectangle but that is fussy.

When I try it in PhotoShop (I am using version 8) I get stck very early on with layers – just as I do for PaintShopPro.

I load the image. I would like to "acquire" the image but after I have used FILE > IMPORT > TWAIN and scanned the image, I find I lose it because it does not appear in PhotoShop’s worktop. When I close the TWAIN window all is blank.

So I opened an existing image file. I selected a rectangle and then used INVERT just as you hinted above. So presumably now the selection is for the image outside the rectangle.

But how do I create the layer?

I have tried a number of options in LAYER > NEW. I must be choosing something wrong because when I do the blur using FILTER > BLUR > BLUR then I get a messahe saying the selected area is empty.

I find that when I don’t use SELECT > INVERT then the layer menu is all grayed out.

Help please!
SP
Susan P
May 17, 2006
On 17 May 2006, Trev<trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

Trev, below is what you wrote (tweaked for me to follow step by step). I have got stuck on step one! This is what I do:

I am using PSP version 9.
I select the text by using a rectangle
I go to menu option LAYERS
I see 6 options for different layers (raster, vector,
art-media, group, mask, adjustment).
I play with them and see raster, art media and group want to add 16 million colors to my black & white original! Vector sounds wrong.

I am stuck. Which option do I want?

I am sorry to sound so thick but I did say I wasn’t very good with layers!

————————————————-

after the selection promote it to a layer

You can then enlarge that layer with
resize "uncheck Resize all layers"
or with the Pick/deform tool.

One thing though, Jpeg compression in not kind to text so Save from the scanner as tiff
better still use PSP acquire to get from scanner.

Working with layers means that you can
alter or adjust any one layer with out affecting the others

In this case you will have
the background layer and
a layer with the text that you want

you can blur, reduce opacity of the background, etc and enlarge the text layer, rotate, add dropshadow, whatever.

might be better to reduce Background rather than enlarge the text to do that you convert the background layer to a regular layer by: right clicking it in the layers pallet
and selecting promote to layer.

======================================================
T
Trev
May 17, 2006
Trev, below is what you wrote (tweaked for me to follow step by step). I have got stuck on step one! This is what I do:

No Dont go to layers but sellections, there you will find the promote to Layer.
also Right click on the layer in the layers pallet will have that same option in the context menu. I prefer that latter

I play with them and see raster, art media and group want to add 16 million colors to my black & white original! Vector sounds wrong.

————————————————-

One thing though, Jpeg compression in not kind to text so Save from the scanner as tiff

the background layer and

you can blur, reduce opacity of the background, etc and
enlarge the text layer, rotate, add dropshadow, whatever.

might be better to reduce Background rather than enlarge the text to do that you convert the background layer to a regular layer by: right clicking it in the layers pallet

May 18, 2006

Like this? Just guessing:
http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/tmp1.jpg

Yes, just like that!
Maybe a border around the enlarged rectangle but that is fussy.

It’s pretty simple. When the marquee is visible, go to Selection and choose Border.
May 18, 2006

————————————————-

the background layer and

SP
Susan P
May 18, 2006

also Right click on the layer in the layers pallet will have that same option in the context menu. I prefer that latter

I think I may be beaten. 🙁

I launch PSP
I OPEN a graphics file
I select the text by using a rectangle. The rectangle is still "twinkling"
I go to menu option SELECTIONS and I do a Promote Selection To Layer I go to Image Resize and set a slightly large size and click OK

Hothing happens. !!!

I also try a little experiment: I close & re-launch PSP and open a graphics file. This time instead of Image Size, I try Layers > Promote Background Layer so now I have got the background layer as my "working area". I then apply ADJUST > BLUR > BLUR but nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? !!!

T
Tacit
May 18, 2006
In article ,
Susan P wrote:

I go to menu option SELECTIONS and I do a Promote Selection To Layer I go to Image Resize and set a slightly large size and click OK
Hothing happens. !!!

Yes, that is correct.

Image Resize affects the size of the entire image. Every part of it, on every layer.

You just want to resize the layer that you have created, not the entire image.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
J
JoeB
May 18, 2006
Susan P wrote in
:

Trev, below is what you wrote (tweaked for me to follow step
by
step). I have got stuck on step one! This is what I do:

also Right click on the layer in the layers pallet will have
that
same option in the context menu. I prefer that latter

I think I may be beaten. 🙁

I launch PSP
I OPEN a graphics file
I select the text by using a rectangle. The rectangle is
still
"twinkling"
I go to menu option SELECTIONS and I do a Promote Selection To
Layer
I go to Image Resize and set a slightly large size and click
OK
Hothing happens. !!!

You forgot one of the steps that Trev pointed out to you in his original post. Once you make your selection, and then go to Selections>Promote Selection to Layer, you will have the selected area on a new layer. Now when you go to Image>Resize, you have to UNCHECK the box that says Resize All Layers if you want the resize to only effect the promoted selection layer.

To resize that layer in the Resize dialogue, you then have to change the pixel size in the pixel size dimension part of the dialoge to something larger than the original image size. Even though your selection is smaller than the original image, the size of that layer is the same pixel size as the original image, but only the selected part is visible and the remainder is transparent. So to make the selected layer information bigger you have to make sure the pixel size you set for resizing is larger than the original size of the whole image.

Regards,

JoeB

[snipped]
T
Trev
May 18, 2006
"2" wrote in message

————————————————-

the background layer and

Does this make it clearer Written while you sleep as I’m in the UK http://www.trevbowden.clara.net/resize.html
T
Trev
May 18, 2006
"Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote in message
"2" wrote in message
<sniped />

I forgot to mention under Effects > artistic effects > magnifying lens. Is somthing you might be interested in . This places a magnifying lens with frame over the subject
May 18, 2006
"Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

I forgot to mention under Effects > artistic effects > magnifying lens. Is somthing you might be interested in . This places a magnifying lens with frame over the subject

🙂 I don’t have CS2 here, but I thought that existed. I think the OP will be very happy to know about it. It is rather a gob-smacker, no?
J
JoeB
May 18, 2006
"2" wrote in
news::

"Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:
I forgot to mention under Effects > artistic effects >
magnifying
lens. Is somthing you might be interested in . This places a magnifying lens with frame over the subject

🙂 I don’t have CS2 here, but I thought that existed. I think
the OP
:will be
very happy to know about it. It is rather a gob-smacker, no?

Trev’s tutorial wasn’t done in CS2 but in Paint Shop Pro.

Regards,

JoeB
SP
Susan P
May 19, 2006
Does this make it clearer Written while you sleep as I’m in the UK
http://www.trevbowden.clara.net/resize.html

That is tremendous! As soon as I saw the web page it made me laugh. I’m not sure why. It is an amazing bit of work to do so quickly. And i’m so pleased to see bit of my posting right in there!

Now here is the technical bit. When I start with a GIF and promote the selection to a layer, I get told something about about 16 million colors. I just say yes because it looks as if I can’t get past otherwise. Is this 16M thing going to lead to problems?

I like the new way of enlarging the box! But I do find that I get artefacts (is that the right word?) which mess up the cleanliness of the text in the box whe nI stretch it.

All went well. Thank you very much.

Really nice result. You have made my day with first the web site and then helping me get such a good result on my work!

———-

I think a good medium for my highlighted pages is to publish them on the web so they wil always be aviailable for other people to refer to.

My ISP gives me webspace which I reckon is much better than using a service like Yahoo’s photo albums. I have used the FTP thing to put files up there.

But now … are there any templates (for a super quick start) for a boring un-fancy web page with maybe 20 or so thumbnails each of one document. Then when you click on a thumbnail it shows the document properly as a full screen?

TRhat way, you could go to the web page, see all the thumbnails of documents and choose one to look at.

Do you or anyone else know of anything?
SP
Susan P
May 19, 2006
On 18 May 2006, Trev<trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

"2" wrote in message
<sniped />

It looks good but it runs very slowly. I haven’t quite mastered this as I do get weird end results.

Do I still need layers?

Can I select an area and apply the Lens Distortion direct to that selection?
SP
Susan P
May 19, 2006
On 18 May 2006, tacit wrote:

In article ,
Susan P wrote:

I go to menu option SELECTIONS and I do a Promote Selection To Layer
I go to Image Resize and set a slightly large size and click OK
Hothing happens. !!!

Yes, that is correct.

Image Resize affects the size of the entire image. Every part of it, on every layer.

You just want to resize the layer that you have created, not the entire image.

I’m sorry but I forgot to say that I had on my first attempt unchecked the "Resize All layers" option in Image resize. So it was still unchecked when I went back
T
Trev
May 19, 2006
Does this make it clearer Written while you sleep as I’m in the UK

That is tremendous! As soon as I saw the web page it made me laugh. I’m not sure why. It is an amazing bit of work to do so quickly. And i’m so pleased to see bit of my posting right in there!
Now here is the technical bit. When I start with a GIF and promote the selection to a layer, I get told something about about 16 million colors. I just say yes because it looks as if I can’t get past otherwise. Is this 16M thing going to lead to problems?

No Its because a gif. Is what is called a pallated image. This means it can only contain up to 256 of the 16 million colours that we normally use (16.7 intrue)

So its dest to work in 16 m = 24 bit Or 32 bit if you inclued transperancy, most times as you have more controll Ie more steps of adjustment. 24 bit is 8 bits of red = 256 veriastion of red, 8 of blue and 8 of green

I like the new way of enlarging the box! But I do find that I get artefacts (is that the right word?) which mess up the cleanliness of the text in the box whe nI stretch it..

Incresing the size does have this effect as your spreding the same data over more pixles. Starting with a biger scaned image and reducing the backgroun would over come that and Leave the same end result

All went well. Thank you very much.

Really nice result. You have made my day with first the web site and then helping me get such a good result on my work!

———-

I think a good medium for my highlighted pages is to publish them on the web so they wil always be aviailable for other people to refer to.

My ISP gives me webspace which I reckon is much better than using a service like Yahoo’s photo albums. I have used the FTP thing to put files up there.

But now … are there any templates (for a super quick start) for a boring un-fancy web page with maybe 20 or so thumbnails each of one document. Then when you click on a thumbnail it shows the document properly as a full screen?

TRhat way, you could go to the web page, see all the thumbnails of documents and choose one to look at.

There are but only useful with a Html editor that they come with. Unless you have some HTML skills to be able to edit the code in which case you could just make your own any why.

On that does come to mind though is J album http://jalbum.net/ This will do the creating of thumbs and add them to the page layout and all the remaining pages ready for you to upload. and Its Free too.

I suppose I should mention that Corel Photo album also has a web page creator, Oh and MS give away a power toy that makes pages like the Filmstrip view in explorer but with a black background

J
JoeB
May 19, 2006
Susan P wrote in
news::

Does this make it clearer Written while you sleep as I’m in
the UK

That is tremendous! As soon as I saw the web page it made me
laugh.
I’m not sure why. It is an amazing bit of work to do so
quickly.
And i’m so pleased to see bit of my posting right in there!
Now here is the technical bit. When I start with a GIF and
promote
the selection to a layer, I get told something about about 16
million
colors. I just say yes because it looks as if I can’t get past otherwise. Is this 16M thing going to lead to problems?

Gif images are called paletted images, in that they contain a palette of colors that cannot exceed 256 colors. They are good for text images and images that contain few colors or large swatches of the same color (logos, poster/comic type images) with little or no gradation. Photographic type images with many colors and shading don’t save well as gifs but, for the web are saved as jpgs in 24bit color depth or 16 million colors. Many of the tools in PSP will only work on images where the color depth has been increased to 16 million colors, so when you said OK to the dialogue PSP increased the color depth of the image.

You should read the manual or check the Help files for
information on color depth and perhaps on saving images and image file formats.

[snipped]

I think a good medium for my highlighted pages is to publish
them on
the web so they wil always be aviailable for other people to
refer
to.

My ISP gives me webspace which I reckon is much better than
using a
service like Yahoo’s photo albums. I have used the FTP thing to
put
files up there.

But now … are there any templates (for a super quick start)
for a
boring un-fancy web page with maybe 20 or so thumbnails each of
one
document. Then when you click on a thumbnail it shows the
document
properly as a full screen?

TRhat way, you could go to the web page, see all the thumbnails
of
documents and choose one to look at.

There are programs that will easily allow you to create html pages with tables containing thumbnails that, when clicked on, will open the image in a larger window. Here is a link to a free program that works quite well for that purpose:

http://jalbum.net/

Regards,

JoeB
May 19, 2006
[… snip good stuff …]

Okay, now I remember. I wrote a javascript
May 19, 2006
"2" wrote in message
[… snip good stuff …]

Sorry about that. I fat-fingered the tiny mousepad.
J
JoeB
May 19, 2006
"2" wrote in news:126rorcrfngu002
@news.supernews.com:

[… snip good stuff …]

Yes, if you know how to do html pages yourself you can use javascript to create a popup window using the thumbnails as links.

Regarding the text degradation you had with resizing your text selection, the first thing you want to do if the image is a gif is to increase the color depth to 16 million color. Then, in the Resize dialogue box, make sure the "Resample Using" box is set to Smart Size. If it is set to Pixel Resize this will do a poor job of resizing the image.

Regards,

JoeB
SP
Susan P
May 19, 2006
On 19 May 2006, JoeB wrote:

There are programs that will easily allow you to create html pages with tables containing thumbnails that, when clicked on, will open the image in a larger window. Here is a link to a free program that works quite well for that purpose:

http://jalbum.net/

JoeB, thank you for this recommendation. Trev also mentions it.

When I try it, it seems really close to what I want.

With Opera I can zoom in and out of the full size image. But IE can’t zoom (except with text) so most users might not see the words on my scans.

Sadly, the quality of JAlbum’s images is quite poor for reading purposes. It takes my GIFs (plus some JPEGs and TIFs) of documents or maps and makes them into jpegs. But it has no settings to control that conversion. The result is sometimes illegible.

Maybe I can use the html i generates and substitute my own image files for the ones JAlbum has.

Am going to try Trev’s other products first.
May 19, 2006
"JoeB" wrote in message
"2" wrote in news:126rorcrfngu002
@news.supernews.com:

[… snip good stuff …]

Yes, if you know how to do html pages yourself you can use javascript to create a popup window using the thumbnails as links.

Actually, I was going to refer to the script that puts a magnifying glass over an image. One can move it back and forth.
Z
Zak
May 19, 2006
On 19 May 2006, Trev<trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

There are but only useful with a Html editor that they come with. Unless you have some HTML skills to be able to edit the code in which case you could just make your own any why.

On that does come to mind though is J album http://jalbum.net/ This will do the creating of thumbs and add them to the page layout and all the remaining pages ready for you to upload. and Its Free too.

JAlbum is a very good match but I found there are some important drawbacks. I posted to JoeB about the details which you should see as a reply to you too.

I am going to see if I can try your other suggestions because I want to get a better quality image. JAlbum’s images are not great and tere are no controls (apart from final size eg 1024 x 1024)

I suppose I should mention that Corel Photo album also has a web page creator, Oh and MS give away a power toy that makes pages like the Filmstrip view in explorer but with a black background

I see Corel Photo Album has a 30 day trial so that will be worth looking at. I have found the powertoy (HTML SLide Show Wizard)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections