How do I prevent fine lines from showing in a dark colored gradient?

AR
Posted By
Andrea_Russell
Jul 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am desiging an advertisement. I am using a very dark background and in the center is a white hole. The entire thing is blurred out so that the center looks like its glowing. They will be all shades of colors.

I have tried putting a little noise in it and it still shows some lines. These will be going in both magazines and newspapers.

Any ideas on how to prevent the lines. They are somewhat like treetrunk lines.

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PT
Phil_Taz
Jul 27, 2006
Hi Andrea, in case you missed it, I mentioned in the other thread that the method I described works perfectly for me in current version of Photoshop, so check how you are creating the gradient….Are you using the gradient tool in Photoshop?
PF
Peter_Figen
Jul 27, 2006
If you’re blurring using any of the blurring filters, they will create wonderful amounts of posterization, which need to be dealt with by adding noise. Perhaps you haven’t added enough noise yet. Try adding it through an inverted luminosity mask. That’ll keep it out of the highlights.
PT
Phil_Taz
Jul 28, 2006
Yeah, what Peter said but there is an easier way (IMHO) to keep it out of highlights; immediately after applying noise, go edit/fade/lighten.
AR
Andrea_Russell
Jul 28, 2006
Oh I put up another post because I could not find this one. Here you are. than you …. I think I may have been using photoshop CS1 I like working in it sometimes more than CS2. I will try it in the current version. It did help just not 100%. Thanks so much!
SP
steve_peters
Jul 28, 2006
Peter, So your saying that blurring will cause more banding than using a gradient? What about using a selection with a feather of 250 vs a gaussian blur with radius of 250?
PT
Phil_Taz
Jul 28, 2006
Since Peter and I seem to agree on this, I will chime in here and say that that problem with gaussian blur for me is that it creates a pattern like giraffe spots as some kind of strategy to break up the bands, but the blur is only visual, the bands are just as bad from a printers point of view.

Try this, apply a g blur and put a curves adj layer on and put it up to "input 20, output 100" to exaggerate the bands and you will see the pattern.

The same happens with masks, especially with complex or multiple ones. They create little dark islands that print….not a good look!

I raised this issue and similar with Chris Cox but he has not responded except to say that he referred it on to QE or someone like that…
AR
Andrea_Russell
Jul 29, 2006
More questions. I have tried the RGB 16 bit gradient… then the noise at about 4. It worked in all the lighter shaded ads but did not work in the very rich royal blue ad I did. It faids from about 80/70/60/80 to 100/89/40/30 to70/50/25/5 and this lightest is about 25/20/11/0

I am having trouble with it. And the noise shows more than the others.

I tried to do the edit/fade or lighten… When i do that my entire layers color turns to white. What am I doing wrong. Can you guide me a little more?
PT
Phil_Taz
Jul 31, 2006
Did you have any luck on the weekend?
I tested with your colours and it worked fine here….I think you could make your life easier with different starting colours. The royal blue looks more like a brown from a printers point of view, that is a lot of yellow to have in a blue, just muddies it up…..

Anyhow, with the original problem, are you applying the noise to a background layer with those colours in it and no masks, and then immediately going to the edit/fade menu and choosing lighten from the drop-down?

If the whole image disappears, I can only think that the gradient has been created using a mask; when using transparency mask, some tools and effects dont recognise the different levels as different colours and have strange effects. They change the transparency of the colour layer rather than the colour itelf.

If you go back to scratch and create a gradient using the gradient tool on a background layer and follow the procedure described, it will work. Don’t use any mask (at least not yet, but ok later on after creating the background). If you do mask later on you might be reintroducing the banding, so be careful.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 31, 2006
Phil and Andrea are maybe using different color profiles/modes…
PT
Phil_Taz
Jul 31, 2006
unlikely, it would have to be a pretty wild pair of profiles for one to wipe all the colour out of a rich navy blue on a noise/fade/lighten, noise would not work that way.
AR
Andrea_Russell
Aug 1, 2006
I will certainly try these new tricks. I am going out of town for the remainder of the week but when I return I need to finish this ad series. Maybe when I do return I could email you a sample so you could see what my problem is? Or I will figure it out! I do feel that the newspaper ads will be fine. I just think in a magazine you will be able to see the noise? I will just have to keep experimenting and like you said maybe compromise on my colors.
Thanks for all the help!
PT
Phil_Taz
Aug 1, 2006
Noise under about 3 at 300dpi is invisible, at least much less visible than banding, dip your toe in and test. Dont forget the halftone screening will hide the noise to some extent.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections