IB
Posted By
Ilka_Boogaard
Jul 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Photoshop CS2, used to have Photoshop 7. When I opened the new Photoshop up I realized that none of my (home made) actions made it. Figured I would just use the ‘load actions’ command, but I cannot seem to find them anywhere (can’t find them on my backup drive either). Typing the names of the actions brought up nothing. Where are they and how do I put them in CS2?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 22, 2006
Did you save them in the first place?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 22, 2006
Did you uninstall the older version? I would usually check to make sure everything was there before uninstalling. Actions don’t carry over (actually, nothing does). I usually keep one version back until I know I don’t need it for anything.

If you didn’t uninstall, you’re in luck.

And yeah, you have to Save things in order to keep them. All I can suggest is that you look for your olld Actions Palette Preferences file. If that’s on your machine (doubtful) you might be able to retrieve the old actions.
IB
Ilka_Boogaard
Jul 22, 2006
I did not uninstall the old Photoshop. I also still have the previous version on my back up disk. As for saving the actions, I don’t know. I have been using them for probably 2 years and have succesfully moved them from one laptop to another, but have not upgraded Photoshop in that time.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 22, 2006
If you still haave the old version (which presumably still has the actions, then just do a "save action" (from the action palette menu) and you can then load your actions in the new version.

Note: some actions may need tweaking to work properly in the new version
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 22, 2006
If you moved them you must have saved them. There’s no other way (unless you moved the preferences file).

If you don’t know where you saved them, go to the old Actions Palette and save them somewhere (give them a name you will remember) and copy them over to the new version. The Photoshop Actions folder in the Presets folder is probably the best place to put them.
IB
Ilka_Boogaard
Jul 22, 2006
I went back to my travel laptop with the old Photoshop and saved the actions (no idea you had to do that in the first place) onto the desktop. Then I transferred them to my powerbook desktop, opened Photoshop CS2 and loaded the actions. Thanks everyone for your help, could not have figured that one out on my own!
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 24, 2006
If you do not care about the new stock actions in CS2, you could just move the Action Palette.psp file from V7 preferences to CS2 Prefences.
At least works on the Dark Side.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections