JA
Posted By
james_Adam
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am unable to use / see any of my new filters ( harry’s ) etc…even though I have tried many ways of loading them into plug in’s….

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 31, 2004
Are you sure these are filters that work in OS X? For instance the Harry’s Filters website indicates they work only in OS 8/9.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 1, 2004
james,

When you upgrade an application or your OS, you need to check every third-party plug-in, extension, control panel or driver to make sure that they are fully compatible with your new setup. Folks have lost contact with their scanners and printers, etc., because of these issues.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 1, 2004
Some of the scanner manufacturers (UMAX for one!) have been less than stellar in this regard.

UMAX have not updated their excellent "MagicScan" software for OSX (except for their newest scanners)—and apparently have no intention of doing so.

This leaves you with the choice of either driving your scanner through an older boot-in-9.2.2 computer or of using the very inferior LaserSoft driver. (You could also use VueScan but it is very weak compared to MagicScan.).

What is infuriating is that my firewire UMAX is only a couple of years old so guess whose scanners I will NOT be buying in the future.
CB
charles_badland
Sep 1, 2004
Yeah, well Umax got burned pretty bad from its association with Apple: <http://www.exn.ca/Stories/1998/05/22/65.asp>
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 2, 2004
Ann,

I’ve had nothing but grief over the years with three Umax scanners. Two died quietly in their sleep (although there was a magical $750 resurrection fee — each — if I wanted to bring them back from the dead). And the other two are just, well, quirky about whether they want to scan or just flash their pretty green status lights at me.

On the other hand, a far cheaper Epson scanner gives me no grief — it just stands by and does its job without complaint whenever it’s called upon.

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections