in what format should i save the pictures after editing?

LC
Posted By
la_cienega
Jan 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
before editing, the fileseize of most of my pictures is around 1,1 mb, after editing with photoshop elements (changing the brightness mostly) and saving them as jpeg (again), they`re only between 200 and 600 kb. did i loose data? should i save in a different format instead?
help appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
Jan 18, 2004
Yes,
You did lose data, and that’s a bad workflow, as you realize. I personally always save in TIF format for master images and only use jpg for email and web use. PSD format is also a pristine format, but not as universally useable in other programs as TIF . When I initially open one of my digi cam images ( it’s a JPG, can’t see shooting TIF images, not enough gain for the pain ), I’ll immediately save them as TIF files, so I don’t forget, and get caught 6 edits later with an obviously degraded image.

šŸ™‚

Brent
KW
Kyle_White
Jan 18, 2004
G’day!

I do believe that you are loosing data/quality, as JPEG does not use a lossless compression scheme.

My camera also saves in JPEG format, so the first thing I do when I start editing is open a file, then immediately save it as a Photoshop PSD. I then only work on the PSD version and only re-save as a JPEG when I’m going to want the picture for e-mail or web use. Even then I adjust the JPEG quality, keeping it as high as bandwidth use will allow. (My Mom is on dial-up, so she gets lower quality JPEGS by e-mail and high quality JPEGs or TIFFs on a CD, by snail-mail)

The trick is to not work on your originals at all. If you can burn them to CD, so much the better. That way, if five years from now, you’re looking at the old photos and decide that PSE’s latest version and your hard won skill can do a better re-make of a photo, you still have the originals to start with. Sort of like keeping the original negatives from a film camera.

As well, PSD’s and TIFF’s can retain layer information, so if you’re in the middle of editing an image and have to close up you can pick up where you left off without a hitch.

HTH

Kyle
RB
Ralph_Brannon
Jan 18, 2004
Even if you save at JPEG high setting, you will loose stuff. If you save again, you loose more. I tend to save as TIFF for my permenant backup since it its uncompressed, but your right, the file will be larger.
Typically what I do is make a temp photo foler, and inside I may use sub-folders, like personal, business, the farm , whatever if I need to seperate the pictures. When the folder gets to about 600 meg, then I burn the folder, that contains the sub-folders, on to 2 CD’s. That way if something happens to one of the CD’s someday, I can copy the second. I would hate to loose the pictures. Then I clear the temp folder on the PC, and start the next. That way you don’t have gigs and gigs of pictures on your PC.
I use Thumbsplus6,by Cerious software. It is a file browser similar to the one in Photoshop and Elements, but the real reason I use it is to catalog these CD’s. It has a function where it can scan the CD, and keep a thumbnail catalog of the CD on the computer and it keeps it in the same sub-folder format. (That was important after I purchased ACDC program, it scanned the CD, but wouldn’t keet the folder structure which meant it just mixed together ALL the photos making the clean sub-folder structure worthless. They fixed it in the next version, but it took hours for it scan the CD. In other words Thumbsplus was MUCH better at doing the only thing I really wanted it to do.) Now when I need to find that SPECIAL photo again, there is a nice thumbnail gallery of my offline CD’s and makes it easy to find it.
Anyway, I usually will save an unfixed version of the picture in case some day I have differant idea of how to fix it or crop it, and maybe a finished version, if it was really good. Cd’s are cheap and keeps you from using up your hard drive.
Oops…… more info then you needed.
Sorry,
Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>
LC
la_cienega
Jan 18, 2004
thanks a lot guys.

yes, i was going to burn the files (the originals and the edited pictures) on discs. i didn`t realize that there are different quality-options, but ok, i will save them in tiff-format. thanks again.
LC
la_cienega
Jan 18, 2004
sorry, forgot something.

from my camera i put the jpg-files onto my computer, then i edit them with photoshop elements and save them in tiff-format when iĀ“m ready. right?
or do i save them in tiff-format before editing?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 18, 2004
No advantage to saving as TIFF until you’ve changed something.

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 18, 2004
But if you are going to do any editing and saving, then change them to TIFF before doing that or as you’re saving any changes you’ve made, using Save As. JPEG will gradually degrade with repeated saves; TIFF will not.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 18, 2004
The safest way is to write your JPEG images from your camera to CD before editing. Afterwards save your edited files again to CD or DVD as TIFF.
You will notice after you gained more experience in PSE you have become a better editor and might like to rework your images again.

Leen
TR
Tim_r_Donald
Jan 19, 2004
Wow, so if I have an image saved in .jpeg and I do some editing and save it as a .psd the image degrades. If I then pick up the original and do something different and save it as a .psd the image degrades again.
Also on a different thread if I am preparing to e-mail an image and use the autoconverter to reconvert to jpeg then there doesn’t seem to be a save option. It simply prompts me to use microsoft outlook which I dont have set up.
From what I gather from this thread i can simply save the .psd back to .jpeg using ‘save as’ and type the .jpg instead of .psd?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 19, 2004
Tim

You have it twisted around saving to .jpg is the format that will cause a loss of data. The loss will depend on many things but the most being how severe you are saving your image and how often you save reload and resave it. On the other hand .psd will save you images without loss of data.

Grant
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 19, 2004
No.
Only working with JPEG can cause degradation.
If your orig. image is JPEG (as from a digicam), then you have no choice, that’s your starting point. Work with the file as PSD or TIFF from then on. If you need JPEG as the last version, output it as a last step. If you need to modify it and output as JPEG, go back to your PSD/TIFF and work with that, make new JPEG.

IOW, deal with JPEG as little as possible, and try never to save JPEG to JPEG. Simple as that.

Mac

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups šŸ”„

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections