RT
Posted By
Robert_Truelove
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop CS primarily for Web design projects. However, from time to time, I need to put something together for print.

Whenever I use Photoshop for print stuff, the printer always tells me he is going to have re-do it in Illustrator in order to make the fonts clear (the raster vs. bitmap thing).

Anyway, this is a real pain. Is is really true that I have to purchase Illustrator in order to produce clear text when I print? Is there no way in Photoshop to get around this and produce a clean PDF that has text that will look professional when printed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Aug 10, 2004
Save your photoshop files as PDF and don’t let your printer open the files or he will raster the images and ruin the type.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Aug 10, 2004
A file with text layers, saved as an .EPS with "Include Vector Data" will embed the font’s vector imformation, and will print as sharp as anything from Illustrator – provided your printer isn’t stuck in the 80s. The same holds true of shape layers and any other vector elements in your files.

If you have any doubt, send a test file or two to a reputable service bureau in your town – something of absurdly low resolution (one or two DPI would be grand, to illustrate the point) with some vector type and shapes included – saved as an .EPS. with Vector Data included. Your pixels will likely (if their RIP tried to interpolate as many do) be nice & blurry while your vector elements will be razor sharp. If you don’t get the same results at your printer, you might have a chat with him about who should be making purchses.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Aug 10, 2004
PDF works, too, and it’ll automatically make the decision to include the vector data. The caveat to that is that if your printer’s old school enough to think that type has to come from Illustrator to be crisp (vector) then he’s probably still a little scared of PDFs.

Also, what Buko probably meant about not letting him open your files is keep him from opening them with Photoshop, as this will present your printer with a dialog box asking him to pick a resolution at which to rasterise your image – in essense destroying the vector data we’ve been working so hard to include. This holds true for both my EPS and Buko’s PDF. Opening (and printing) a PDF from Reader is perfectly acceptable.
RT
Robert_Truelove
Aug 10, 2004
Mike,

Another question…I was not aware you could save as EPS from Photoshop. When I do a ‘save as’, EPS is not an option. Is there a special place I have to go to save as a EPS?
L
Larryr544
Aug 10, 2004
It’s called Photoshop EPS… look again.
RT
Robert_Truelove
Aug 11, 2004
Right you are. I don’t kow how I missed it.

Now another problem…I am trying to save a file with text layers as an EPS BUT the ‘Include Vector Data’ option is unchecked and greyed out where I can’t check it.

Any ideas?
RT
Robert_Truelove
Aug 11, 2004
Hate to be a pest but I just discovered another thing…

When I take a file in Photoshop and print it to a PDF (using Mac OS X’s built in capability to print PDFs) and then view it in Acrobat Reader, The text is definitly coming across as a bitmap (I can zoon in and the text is fuzzy around the edges).

I opened one of the PDFs supplied by a designer that was created using Illustrator, and the text is solid when you zoom in.

It is not appearing that PDF is working as I have it. Any ideas?
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Robert,

The text is definitly coming across as a bitmap (I can zoon in and the text is fuzzy around the edges).

"Fuzzy around the edges" sounds like antialiasing. Bitmapped text looks like it’s made out of square pixels, not fuzzy.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 11, 2004
Are you PS> File> Save As: PhotoshopPDF?

What happens if you open the Photoshop PDF in iLLustrator?
B
Buko
Aug 11, 2004
When I take a file in Photoshop and print it to a PDF (using Mac OS X’s built in capability to print PDFs) and then view it in Acrobat Reader, The text is definitly coming across as a bitmap

make the PDF using photoshop not OSX. save as Photoshop PDF.
RT
Robert_Truelove
Aug 11, 2004
I tried the save as Photoshop PDF but I am still getting the same results.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 11, 2004
Providing that you are not Rasterizing your Type Layers, you should be able to Save As a Photoshop PDF (check to include Layers).

In the PDF Options dialog: choose ZIP encoding and check "Include Vector Data" and "Embed Fonts".

When you open the resulting PDF in Acrobat you will see that the fonts stay crisp however far you zoom in.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 12, 2004
Don’t print to PDF – just SAVE a PDF file.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections