Posted By
Burton_Ogden
Sep 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I just got an email notice from Epson this morning. This Epson Stylus Pro 3800 < http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideFormat/WideFormat3800 Flash.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes> looks like my next printer. A semi-affordable 17-inch wide photo printer. I think I will get the Professional Edition for the ColorBurst RIP.

— Burton —

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DR
Danny Raphael
Sep 28, 2006
Does this printer have any accompanying software, like a print plugin or the like, that requires CS2?

Personal opinion: Despite less ink loss, the black cart swapping requirement is still a PITA.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Sep 29, 2006
Since I usually print color, I got the R1800 since it has a better gamut and doesn’t require you to change cartridges. It has a zillion cartridges in it, and they all do somethin specific.

There’s even a gloss cartridge, so you don’t get bronzing or other weird effects on glossy papers. It has a couple of black cartridges, they aren’t both used at the same time necesarily, it depends on the paper.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Sep 29, 2006
Danny,

"Personal opinion: Despite less ink loss, the black cart swapping requirement is still a PITA."

Apparently there is no requirement for black cart swapping with the Epson Stylus Pro 3800. To quote from the Epson site linked above:

"Two photographic black ink modes
Epson UltraChrome K3 Ink technology employs two different black ink modes to maximize image quality depending on the output media you choose. The Photo Black ink mode is well suited for virtually any media type but especially photographic papers and will give you professional-quality prints. Matte black ink mode is specially formulated to give exceptional results on fine art papers such as Velvet Fine Art, Enhanced Matte and UltraSmooth Fine Art. The increase in black optical density results in dramatically better print quality on Epson matte papers"

— Burton —
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 29, 2006
It has separate matte and photo black carts, but both stay loaded, and they are "automatically" swapped back and forth as needed. The webpage ambiguously implies that the automatic swapping doesn’t require wasteful ink purges with the swaps, like the 2200 does.
H
Ho
Sep 29, 2006
Is it true that a set of carts costs $500?
BO
Burton_Ogden
Sep 29, 2006
Ho,

"Is it true that a set of carts costs $500?"

Possibly more, if you paid list price, according to the Epson online store < http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyInk.jsp?oid=63062509&a mp;BV_UseBVCookie=yes>. That’s a sobering thought.

Ho, you make a good point. I paid a little less than $500 for my original Epson Stylus Photo printer back in 1997, which, incidentally, is still in daily use and going strong as an "everyday" printer. I now use an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 for most of my photographic prints. It actually cost less than my original Epson Stylus Photo, but the 1280 was discounted and had a $100 mail-in rebate.

Over the years, I’m sure that I have spent more than $500 for ink for my original Epson Stylus Photo, and that doesn’t count paper. Looks like I’ll be spending quite a lot more for ink for my Epson Stylus Pro 3800. I wonder if the ESP 3800 comes with full 80ml cartridges. Now days some printers come with lower capacity "starter" cartridges.

— Burton —
H
Ho
Sep 29, 2006
I am curious how these new "pressurized" cartridges will affect users who like to use outboard ink farms (such as MIS). Some folks think this is Epson’s way to ensure only Epson branded inks are used in this printer.
T
Talker
Oct 1, 2006
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:38:25 -0700,
wrote:

Hi all,

I just got an email notice from Epson this morning. This Epson Stylus Pro 3800 < http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/WideFormat/WideFormat3800 Flash.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes> looks like my next printer. A semi-affordable 17-inch wide photo printer. I think I will get the Professional Edition for the ColorBurst RIP.

— Burton —

That looks like a good printer Burton. Do you do a lot of printing? If so, then you might look at their 4800 model. I know it’s a lot more money, but the ink comes in either 110 ml or 220 ml cartridges. The 220 ml cartridge is an excellent buy if you do a lot of printing.
I’ve been looking at the HP 9180 printer that is supposed to compete with Epson’s 2400. I can’t find out how much the 2400’s ink cartridges contain, but the HP’s are 27 ml.
Right now, I’m up in the air about whether to go for the HP or the Kodak 1400 Pro.
I already have an Epson R220 for printing on CDs and DVDs, and an HP 7550 for color prints, but I have issues with both of them. Maybe someone here can offer some suggestions.
The HP can be connected by either firewire or USB. Since the Epson is connected via USB, I can’t connect another printer via USB, but fortunately, I can use the HP’s firewire connection. This option isn’t open to me if I get the 9180 or the Kodak. I tried connecting two printers via USB….a real disaster. No one ever tells you that you can’t connect two printers that way….until you call their tech support.<g>
The other problem, and the reason I’m looking at the Kodak, is that inkjet prints will stick to the glass of a picture frame, if it’s humid enough. I have never been able to avoid that, and yes, I do have the pictures mounted under a matte. I have also tried spray coatings that are supposed to make prints water resistant, but no luck. This is not a problem with the Kodak.
If I get another USB printer, is there some sort of A/B style USB switch that I can use for connecting several printers to one computer? I haven’t been able to find something like that. All I see are switches that allow one printer to be used with several computers, not the opposite.
Any ideas?

Talker

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections