L
Posted By
LarsKohler
Aug 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have several different paths that has to be all in one to make a clipping path in the same picture. Is there a Way?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
Sure.

Make a new Path "layer".

Draw the paths using the pen tool—being sure to highlight the second from the left, and the extreme right-hand icons in the Option bar.

Just make sure that you draw all of your paths on the SAME Path palette "layer.

Choose "Clipping Path" from palette fly-out menu.
J
jonf
Aug 5, 2004
If you already created the paths in different layers can copy and paste them into a single layer. Pasting a path remembers its location so it’s a fairly easy process.

If you mean you need to combine them as in merge or unite, I know of know easy way to do it in PS. I usually just paste them into Illustrator, perform my Pathfinder Unite action, and paste them back into PS.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
Jonf:

Get CS ……!

[That is what those icons to the right of the Options bar are for.]

Even better: Get InDesign CS and forget about Clipping Paths.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 5, 2004
…. or get Illustrator 88 : )
J
jonf
Aug 5, 2004
Ann … Are you sure? In PS7 although I can use those icons to adjust my selection area from my paths, it doesn’t seem to have an effect on using those paths as clipping paths. I.e., if I use the combine button on a pair of paths then use the paths to make a selection in PS, it selects the entire area as I’d expect. But if I make those paths into a clipping path and import the file, I end up with intersected paths, not combined paths. Has this changed in CS?

I’m still on OS 9.2. both at work and at home, so I can’t upgrade until I get a few thousand to upgrade the whole dang system.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 5, 2004
Forget the icons for now. Let’s take it one step at a time. 1.) Have you pasted all the paths onto one path?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
Jonf:

I tried it (using Photoshop CS) and placed a Photoshop EPS file with the combined clipping path (drawn with Add to Path icon selected) into Illustrator.

The clipped path shows correctly in Illustrator CS; Saves as a PDF and the separations proof correctly in Acrobat 6 Pro.

[I can’t vouch for QXP 6. Happily!]

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections