Rusty Williamson
Sep 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

Photoshop V7.01 / Windows XP

I’m trying to use a clipping path to cut the background out of an image in Illustrator. But when I try to make a clipping path in Photoshop it doesn’t seem to take. I have Path 1, I select Clipping Path from the Pallet menu, Path 1 is already selected, I say okay — that should do it yes? But the path name is suppose to change (I think to outlined text) but this does not happen. When I save as an EPS I’m supposed to be asked what path to use as a clipping path — this does not happen.

Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,
Rusty

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 9, 2003
Path 1 is already selected, I say okay — that should do it yes?

You enter a flatness value and say ok, afaik.

But the path name is suppose to change (I think to outlined text)

No.

When I save as an EPS I’m supposed to be asked what path to use as a clipping path

Not as far as I know. I’ve never been asked.

So what’s the issue? Are you bringing it into Illustrator and finding the wrong clipping path is used?
M
Madsen
Sep 9, 2003
Rusty Williamson wrote:

I select Clipping Path from the Pallet menu, Path 1 is already selected, I say okay — that should do it yes?

You’ll also have to choose which path to use as a clipping path. It default to ‘None’.
< http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/photoshop/which_clipping_p ath.png>.

But the path name is suppose to change (I think to outlined text) but this does not happen.

Are you sure? Have you tried to deselect the thumbnail of the clipping path in your paths palette? (click somewhere underneath the thumbnail of the path inside the paths palette). When you deselect it, it’s easier to see that the name of the clipping path is written with bold text. < http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/photoshop/clipping_path.pn g>. In this example the Path 1 is a clipping path. The name of the path is written in bold text.

When I save as an EPS I’m supposed to be asked what path to use as a clipping path

You can only have one clipping path per image so you wont be asked when you save the image. You choose which path you want as the clipping path from the paths palette.

Regards
Madsen.
RW
Rusty Williamson
Sep 9, 2003
Hello,

Thanks so much for replying! Okay the path name did change to bold so perhaps that time I ‘got it’. Also one attempt (where the path name did not change at all) involved a path which was made up of many small inclosed areas so I’ve backed away from that and I am now just trying a simple and single enclosed path.

However, the final issues is, even when the path name does change to bold, and I save it (and I’ve tried both eps and psp formats), when I open, or ‘place’ the image in Illustrator the background (the area outside the clipping path) is not transparent.

This could also be a version issue… maybe. I have Photoshop 7.01 but have an older version of Illustrator — version 7.0.

I will keep trying. I appreciate any additional comments or help!

Cheers,
Rusty
M
Madsen
Sep 9, 2003
Rusty Williamson wrote:

This could also be a version issue… maybe. I have Photoshop 7.01 but have an older version of Illustrator — version 7.0.

Hmm, that’s strange. I have Illustrator 10.0.3 installed so I can’t test with AI 7, but what happens if you place the following *.eps in Illustrator 7? (remember to uncheck the ‘link’ function in the Place dialog box in AI).

<http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/photoshop/eagle.zip> (525 KB).

Regards
Madsen.
RW
Rusty Williamson
Sep 9, 2003
Thanks Madsen!

The eagle can be ‘placed’ in Illustrator — I see a grayscale rectrangle with the head of an eagle in it and some paths (text?) below it. If I try to ‘open’ the file I get an EPS Parser error.

I think my version of Illustrator is too old… I do not have a tranparency pannel nor a ‘clipping path’ item in the Object menu.

Rusty
M
Madsen
Sep 9, 2003
Rusty Williamson wrote:

The eagle can be ‘placed’ in Illustrator — I see a grayscale rectrangle with the head of an eagle in it and some paths (text?) below it. If I try to ‘open’ the file I get an EPS Parser error.

Okay. If you remembered to uncheck the link function in Illustrator then maybe your version of Illustrator is too old. Here in AI 10.0.3 the placed eagle look like this:
< http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/illustrator/placed_eagle.p ng>

If I link the eagle I only see this:
< http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/illustrator/linked_eagle.p ng>

Regards
Madsen.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections