DM
Posted By
Dave_McElderry
Jan 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not sure what really constitutes an off-topic post, but since this is not specific to PE…

For several weeks I’ve been following all the discussion regarding folks getting different printing results from different programs, and their troubles in laying out and printing multiple photos on one page. I realize that color management issues are at work with some of these problems, but as I read through these discussions I have to wonder if there are any programs out there that are made specifically to address photo printing needs. Is anyone familiar with a program that has a main purpose in life to allow the user easy manipulation of photos in a wide variety of paper sizes and layouts, and would also have the necessary smarts to allow appropriate choices when it comes to color management? From all that I’ve read it seems like there would be a market for something like this. OR maybe I just don’t know enough about this whole subject and am missing the point. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jhjl1
Jan 11, 2004
QImage Pro is an excellent program for printing.
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 11, 2004
one answer: ‘ Arcsoft’ Photo Printer Pro. It’s the best you’ll find for the intent of image printing.
J
jhjl1
Jan 11, 2004
Jodi wrote:
one answer: ‘ Arcsoft’ Photo Printer Pro. It’s the best you’ll find for the intent of image printing.

James Replies:
I have used the trial version of QImage and was getting ready to order it.
Your answer was so emphatic I take it you have tried both. What was the advantage of the Arcsoft product? What problems did QImage have as compared to Arcsoft? I don’t want to make the wrong choice here. Thanks.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 11, 2004
I never used Qimage so i have no clue about it. I just know that I downloaded the trial version of Photo printer way back when before I even had elements and i was happy with it. From what i remember, the newest Arcsoft photo printer pro has more options to print with dozens of layouts or create your own. Go ahead and download the trial versions and check them out. Can’t hurt.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 11, 2004
I think a variety of software is available to give more, and perhaps easier, printing options, but the other half of this question was about one that would combine a way to handle "color management" issues as well. I doubt you’ll find that anywhere, although maybe someone could make big bucks if they developed one. Most of these other software packages do not employ color management in any flavor. Probably the best anyone could hope for would be to find one that printed acceptably while ignoring color management. I can see where that would open a new can of worms, though.
J
jhjl1
Jan 11, 2004
QImage does employ colour management as noted in features page.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/feature.htm

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jan 11, 2004
I wonder if we could exhort our friends at Adobe to combine these features in Elements #3?
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 11, 2004
Dave,
My opinion is that there is no simple answer to the problem of printing. The chemistry of the inks and papers is a prime example. Some papers do terribly with a particular inkset, and are great with another inkset.

Rank novices are likely to expect ( in their natural ignorance of all the pitfalls ) that they can simply buy a printer, put some paper in it, and start saving money on Photographs. After awhile, we are all weaned of that simplicity and trust.

The simple solution is to buy a major manufacturer photo printer and use their papers, their inks, and their printing applications. I don’t know of any problems doing that. However, I’ll tell you that those people can’t ever change applications, papers, or inks and expect the same decent results . I can , in my profiled , color managed workflow print on many different papers, with different inksets, by putting a lot of work and painfully acquired knowledge into to process.

Frankly, I’m amazed at how easy it is to get decent print out of a photo printer, after just opening the box and using the sample paper that comes along. Next time they go to the store, though, they’ll be enticed into a "cheaper" paper on the shelf, or a paper recommended by a friend with a different printer altogether, and then the education starts.

I guess its just not a simple subject . <G>

🙂

Brent
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 11, 2004
There’s a lot of "picking on" color management ( which is only partially implemented in Elements ) and I think its not totally justified. The problem is that it is not universally implemented . What color management allows is the RGB and CMYK numbers in an image to be precisely defined by a particular colorspace . Without the rigor of calibrating and profiling devices, and the rigor of accurate conversion between colorspaces , you cannot take an image and reproduce it accurately on another media. You might be able to print it on your own printer, but you couldn’t print it on your neighbors printer, or even your other printer . The image of which you’re so proud , wouldn’t look the same on your neighbors display, either.

Color Management is necessary, but at its best, it should be universal, perfect, and invisible to the user. We all know that it ain’t there yet, by a long shot.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 11, 2004
ya cause I was going to say….when i had Arcsoft trial of Photo printer i had no problem getting good color prints…or is that colour prints…then again, it has alot to do with the printer as well. Can’t expect an all in one office printer to do justice to photographs either.
J
jhjl1
Jan 11, 2004
Remember we have to use "COLOUR" to get Leen’s tip of the week.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 11, 2004
I had a few problems with QImage Pro losing thumbnails and having to be reinitialized. I also found the tools to be difficult to figure out – not intuitive, at least for me. Prints were very good, though.

I guess I should go back and give it another whirl one of these days now that I’ve converted to XP.

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 11, 2004
see now when I downloaded the trial of Arcsoft photo printer ‘ ages’ ago I had just started using a computer not too bright with computer stuff. I was happy to see that a monkey could use photo printer….though it is quite good despite this.
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 11, 2004
Well, that means I might have a fighting chance Jodi <G>. I downloaded the trial copies of both programs and will do some playing around. Thanks for all your comments and help everyone.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections