Posted By
Josh_Lucchesi
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi –

When I go to open the Effects palette – using the "f" button at the bottom of the Layers palette – it doesn’t show up on the screen. The Effects palette is invisible! The only thing I am able to do at that point is hit return and the effect is listed under the layer but it’s "turned off". I don’t see the effect applied to the object, I cannot launch the Effect palette from the effect sublayer, nor can I make the little eye icon on the sublayer change from greyed out.

Another thing I noticed that I think is unusual. When you click on the "f" icon on the bottom of the Layers Palette, isnt the first thing on that list "Effects" or "Effects Palette"?? My list begins with "Blending Options…"

I recently upgraded to a G5 with Panther (10.3.4). I’m running PShop 7.0.1. I bring this up because this problem never happened before.

Help, help, help, help, help.

Josh

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Jul 28, 2004
Sounds like your Layer Styles dialogue is off-screen somewhere.

Reset your Photoshop preferences per these instructions <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/6712.htm>.

And yes, Blending Options is supposed to be the first item in the list on the left side of the Layer Styles dialogue (and in the Layers Palette pop-up menu).
JL
Josh_Lucchesi
Jul 29, 2004
YES! Phosphor hit the nail on the head. That did it. Thanks, JL
Jul 29, 2004
You’re welcome, Josh.

Hope you bookmarked that link I gave you. It’s the best place to start when Photoshop’s acting wonky on you.
JL
Josh_Lucchesi
Jul 29, 2004
Phosphor – Thanks again.

Some additional "lessons learned" from this challenge… After resetting the preferences be sure to select "Show All Effect" under Layer > Layer Style > Show All Effects. Otherwise you will not see the effects applied nor will the eye icon on the effect sublayer be selectable.

Josh

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections