Posted By
SerayaH
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m trying to apply the lighting effects filter to a white layer, but when I try to use the filter I get an error saying: Could not complete the Lighting Effects command because a requested property value could not be found. The file is in RGB, so I can’t understand why I’m getting this error.

Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks,

Seraya

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Seraya,

You might have better luck eliciting a response if you give a little information, like the exact version of Photoshop you are using, your operating system, your machine, the bit mode your image is in, etc.

Also, I’m a little confused about applying lighting effects to a white layer. Could you elaborate on that?
NS
Nico_Syncaio
Feb 24, 2004
I"m getting the exact same error every now and again with this plug-in. Sometimes it works and quite often when I try to call the plug-in from the filters menu i get the above error.

I’m on a PowerBook G4 867/768MB RAM – Panther 10.3.2 – Photoshop CS 8.0
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 24, 2004
But when? Under what circumstances? What’s on the screen? What layer is active? How big a file? Blah, blah, blah.
NS
Nico_Syncaio
Feb 24, 2004
I’ve just been messing about with a load of images trying to re-create the problem but so far the plug-in has launched fine every time. Over the past few days of working on various images the plug-in has simply failed to launch with the same error as above – (Could not complete the Lighting Effects command because a requested property value could not be found) on a few occasions – not that many – but definately noticable – thus why i came here and found another user with the same error. I can’t remember exactly the circumstances of the error but i simply quit photoshop and re-launched and the plug-in would again work fine.

It’s a weird one but i’ll keep an eye on my workflow over the next few days and log what i was doing and the events upto any subsequent errors.
NB
Nik_Brittain-Long
Feb 24, 2004
Hi Seraya,

I know exactly what you mean! I had the same problem myself today, which is how I found myself here, reading your post and getting frustrated at the lack of answers. In the end I took a stab in the dark and guess what – I found the solution! PURGE!!! I only tried Purge ALL, but I suspect that the problem lies with the clipboard. I had a bunch of illustrator paths in mine and when I got rid of them the filter worked fine. No need to even re-open the document. RESULT!

Hope this works for you…
NS
Nico_Syncaio
Feb 24, 2004
Dear Adobe

Here’s how to perfectly re-create this problem… now go and fix it!

1. Open Photoshop CS
2. Open Illustrator CS
3. In Photoshop CS create a new document (any size etc.)
4. In Illustrator CS create some artwork (eg. a filled box with some text on top)
5. Highlight the artwork in Illustrator CS and choose EDIT > COPY
6. Move over into Photoshop CS, select your document and choose EDIT > PASTE to paste the Illustrator CS artwork into your Photoshop CS document.
7. Click on any tool in the toolbar to place and render the artwork.
8. Still in Photoshop CS choose MENU > FILTER > RENDER > LIGHTING EFFECTS and instantly get the error!

‘Could not complete the Lighting Effects command because a required property value could not be found.’

The fix in the last post by simply choosing MENU > EDIT > PURGE > ALL fixes the filter so you can now apply the lighting effect but you really shouldn’t have to purge to get the filter to work properly!

….

PS. Adobe… while your at it please please please fix the problems with Illustrator CS constantly crashing in Mac OS X (Panther 10.3.2). I wait not so patiently for the 11.0.1 updater!
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 25, 2004
Reproduced in OSX 10.2.8 following above instructions. Purge Clipboard is enough to restore filter’s functionality.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2004
I have just tried it using Drag & Drop between Illustrator and Photoshop (instead of Copy/Paste) and it worked without any error being generated.

It sounds like a clipboard problem?
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 25, 2004
Exactamente.
S
SerayaH
Feb 25, 2004
I just read all the posts and tried the drag and drop method from Illy CS to Photoshop CS, then tried the filter, but got the same error. Purging worked though.

I think that there must be something else causing the error, because it’s not only happening when I copy and paste from Illustrator – it’s happening with other files too.

I’m using Mac OS 10.2.3 Panther, so maybe it could be the operating system.

Seraya
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 25, 2004
Seraya, BEFORE you do Ann’s drag/drop experiment either PURGE ALL in PSCS or quit and restart PSCS. Then, when you drag/drop you should see no such message.

(I suspect you had stuff on the clipboard from a copy/paste experiment, then tried the drag/drop experiment, huh?)
S
SerayaH
Feb 25, 2004
You’re right Doug, I did – I tried this and it worked.

Thanks,

Seraya
BH
bryan_hughes
Feb 26, 2004
This has been passed on to the necessary parties, thanks for reporting it.

-Bryan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections