SS
Posted By
Srivaths_Sankaran
Jan 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having trouble getting results following the instructions on Red-Eye elimination.

I am trying to correct the "White-eye" from an image of my dog. Here’s what I have done:

* Select the red-eye Brush Tool
* Via the options panel

* Set the target color to first click
* Set the replacement color
* Set the tolerance to 30%
* Selected a 5px brush

* Clicked and dragged over the target area

No dice. The technique seems to work alright on the example in Mikkel Aaland’s book (PSE-2 Solutions) p. 56. In fact I don’t even have to drag (Step 3). I click once on the pupil (first click) and then again to have the color replaced.

What am I missing?

Sri

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 3, 2004
Hello Sri, I didn’t use the red eye correction for this one, <http://www.pbase.com/image/24513111>
I used the burn and dodge tools and got this,
<http://www.pbase.com/image/24513112>
I had to make copies, and try over and over again, and finally got a good result. I zoomed way in, so that I could paint very carefully and don’t use the 100% opacity. Jane

EDIT, I can see that I need to fix the highlight on her right eye, and work on the detail some more, but this is the first time that I have done this so that it looks good.
j
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 4, 2004
I have tried several ways of correcting "red eye" on photos of our cat … and then I realized that I had some photographs where her eyes were OK. So now I tend to seek out a similar pose and then change the eyeballs …….

Sounds painful 🙁 but it works 🙂

Wendy
JG
Julio_Guerra
Jan 4, 2004
Wendy’s method is the one that I use. I works well and I think looks better than trying to use the red eye brush.
Julio
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 4, 2004
Recently someone gave a way of doing Red Eye that I have found is fantastic … I have done a search but can’t find the thread and I don’t know who posted it either.

However I did write it down:

Select the Red Eye plus a few pixels and use feather (a little) Enhance>Colour>Hue & Sat>select reds from edit box …reduce saturation to zero or near
Enhance>Brightness>Levels
Bring in the left hand marker about a quarter of the way and adjust centre one to a suitable point May need to do each eye separate.

The original post explained it far better so if any one can find the thread please post it 🙂

Anyway I tried it on your dog photograph Jane and it worked really well … I had to do each eye as a separate adjustment but it only took me a few minutes. I will try it on my cat photos now and let you know if it works on them too.

Wendy
SS
Srivaths_Sankaran
Jan 4, 2004
Thank you all for your feedback. I will try it out.

Sri
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 4, 2004
Jane…wish I could show you what I did for your puppy’s eyes. I hope you don’t mind but I downloaded the picture so I could do some practice on "dog eye." I selected out his blown out pupils. I used a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Same way Wendy discribes in her post. Then I flattened the image, selected the pupils again and dodged. (This is somewhat overkill but those eyes are really blown out). Now that they are dark…might I say too dark…I take a paint brush with a brown color…and do a half moon in each eye (like the eye brigthening glamor technique someone was sharring a few months ago to pop the eyes). Next I take the smudge tool and do some smudging. Still not done. Now go to your glass buttons (If you have the Wow set, I used the dark gray glassfouth or so from last). Apply glass to selected pupil…you’ll have to scale it down. This gives a bit of a three dimension and gloss (or life) to the eye. To finish the job I make a seperate layer…put white on a small brush…put in a little highlight in the center of each pupil. And it’s all done.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 4, 2004
I forgot to mention that the reason the highligts are on a separate layer is because you’ll have to turn down the opacity to make them look natural.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 4, 2004
Terri,

That sounds fantastic … what a shame we can’t see it !

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 4, 2004
I’d e-mail it to her but I didn’t see an address when I clicked her name. I thought about putting the challenge clock in the picture and posting to the challenge site but Jane would have to okay that. I don’t want to step on any toes.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 5, 2004
Hi Terri, Oh, would I love to see Nicky’s eyes!
Just e-mail the picture to me at or put it on your album page. My e-mail should be listed here I think, but use either of the above. Anybody here has my permission to use any of my pbase pictures, no problem. I’m not a professional photog, as you can tell from my pictures, so any improvement on any of my stuff is totally welcome.
I am here to learn! Thats why I joined this forum.
Thanks,
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 5, 2004
Okay, he’s on his way. I sent it to the cape cod e-mail address. I hope you like it.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 5, 2004
Hi Terri, That is wonderful!! What a super job you did on her eyes, yes she is a girl, a little Springer Spaniel that one of our daughter’s best friends got out of a Boston dog pound. She is an exceptionally gentle little dog, and our kids babysit her all the time, as the friends travel a lot, and they bring her here too. She is very nice with our little grandkids.
We have 2 other female dogs, I am sure you have seen them on my pbase albums, and they all get along fine. During Christmas dinner we had 11 humans and 3 dogs eating turkey all in our tiny dining room.
Destroyed the turkey of course.

I am going to go thru your tutorial in detail tomorrow and see how well I can do this, practise and more practise.
Thank you!
Jane
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 5, 2004
Here is Nicky with eyes that look the way they should, thanks to Terri, <http://www.pbase.com/image/24817876>
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 5, 2004
Thanks Jane. I can tell from her expression that she’s a real sweetie. I can’t figure out what to do with that clock so this was a welcome sidetrack. If you have any questions, post back. By the way I don’t do the desaturation step Wendy does but I’m not sure it really matters since you need to get the eyes down to flat black matte before bringing them to life with a little paint work, and glass styles.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 5, 2004
Wow Terri … that is really good …

I have copied out your technique and will try it out … if I get stuck I will come back to you.

I too have no idea what to do with the clock … inspiration has not arrived this week 🙂 I think I may now wait until next week.

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 6, 2004
Wendy…glad to hear I’m not the only one whose creative juices just aren’t with the clock this week. I think I’ll be sticking with some of the side threads. That puzzle thread sounds interesting…of course I’ll have to locate my textures since I moved them to a photo folder. I saw that thread and was like "duh" that’s what that load texture option means. Just go basically off what I said…I kind of do things a little overkill. Heck, knowing me you could probably cut out 3 or 4 steps.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections