SW
Posted By
Susan_W._Edwards
Feb 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two questions regarding the use of the red-eye brush in Elements 2.0. First, when I use it on people I can remove the red; but I end up with grey (desaturated?) instead of black. Why, please?

Second, it sounds like Elements will allow you to specify the color to be removed and the color to be used as a replacement. I take a lot of pictures of animals, and often when a flash is used the pupil turns green. I can click on the green as the color to be removed, but when I try to specify a replacement color it replaces the green I first sampled. What am I missing, please?

Thanks.

Susan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 17, 2004
About a month ago there was a good discussion on removing the reflection from dogs eyes. I tried to search for it but I can’t seem to get the search thing to go back that far in this forum, I just get the one page of hits and can’t find the ‘next’ part to continue looking. It’s just me, I am sure that it can be done.

But here is Nicky before,
<http://www.pbase.com/image/24513111>
and the second picture is using the burn tool, and the last picture was using a tutorial that one of the experts here gave me. Wait a while and soon you will have a reply from someone here with the best way to do the dogs eyes. This time I will copy the instructions, zoom way in on the eye when you are working on it.
I think it was Terri who gave us that great tutorial,,,,,, Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 17, 2004
Jane, Nicky is adorable ! It was fun going from one image to the next and comparing eyes…those were some wicked red mirrors !! The last one looks the best.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 17, 2004
I think this is the thread Jane was thinking about. There are a number of suggestions given for correcting "dog eyes".

Terri Foster "How to remove "yellow eye" (from dog)" 2/4/04 12:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/13>
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 17, 2004
Thats the one! Thanks for finding it.
Isn’t she a pretty dog, our daughter and family babysit for her quite often, and bring her here a lot. We end up with 3 dogs in one little house and 3 grandkids, but its fun. A bit hectic though.

How do you search the forum? I am far better at Google than here, I got one page looking for the dog eye tutorial, but the next hits(pages), were unaccessable.
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 17, 2004
I remembered that the post was something about removing yellow eyes from dogs, so I just searched for ‘yellow eye’. It wasn’t very far down the list on the first page of hits. Sometimes I can think of a specific person who posted to a thread, and then I search by name. Sometimes I can remember all kinds of stuff about a thread and still never find what I’m looking for. 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 17, 2004
Hi Beth, But how do you get to the second page or more? I couldn’t find the ‘next’ button.

Also I have another forum question; when I do spell check, sometimes the word is wrong, but instead of giving the correct spelling, it says " From Text Box" which I don’t understand.
Maybe I am just tired and dumb tonight, I went ‘swamping’ this afternoon with the dog, and came back exhausted.
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 17, 2004
If there is more than one page of hits, you’ll find that down on the left side at the bottom of the list. I didn’t even look to see if there was more than one page for the one I just did.

When I just checked spell check, there was a list of choices for what it thought I was trying to spell (‘page’, but ‘pge’), with the last one being whatever it was you just said (the messages disappeared!) So, I’m not sure what you were seeing. I don’t usually use it, so I’m not really familiar with how it works.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 18, 2004
Jane,

From text box … just means how it is typed in the small box at the side …. or in other words how you typed it in the first place.

Took me a while to work it out.

Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks all, I am recovering from ‘swamping’ and tomorrow I will go back and review this. But the yellow eye stuff with the dog eye correction is wonderful! This will be so very helpful to others dealing with their pets eyes too.
I will be working on more of our dog and cat pictures, as we sure have a lot of them. Thank you for the wonderful help!
Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 18, 2004
Susan E. I’m not sure whether your question regarding the grey instead of black was answered. You cited the reason in your question: the red-eye brush desaturates the red into the gray of the same luminosity. To get to a darker shade of gray or all the way to black, some of the other techniques mentioned here (such as using the Burn tool) are needed.

With respect to replacement, I believe what it does is put the replacement color wherever you click. Try setting your replacement color first, then click where you want that color to appear. Note that it won’t be exactly the color you pick, but lighter or darker based on the shade of the color it’s replacing. I think you’ll find it works in that fashion.

It’s a confusing and often frustrating tool, but it has its moments…

Chuck
wrote in message
I have two questions regarding the use of the red-eye brush in Elements

2.0. First, when I use it on people I can remove the red; but I end up with
grey (desaturated?) instead of black. Why, please?
Second, it sounds like Elements will allow you to specify the color to be
removed and the color to be used as a replacement. I take a lot of pictures of animals, and often when a flash is used the pupil turns green. I can click on the green as the color to be removed, but when I try to specify a replacement color it replaces the green I first sampled. What am I missing, please?
Thanks.

Susan
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 18, 2004
Jane, yes it was me that did Nicky’s eyes and posted how I did it. The link that was given for directions is incorrect. I hate to admit this but I don’t know how to do an interforum link. The directions that I and others gave for correcting pet eye can be found in a post called "Red Eye" correction for pets… Question posted by Srivaths Sankaran on January 3, 2004.

Terri
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Terri, Got it, and also I just found my screen capture of your message, the text, so I have it now! Named it correctly, so I can find it inside this overstuffed computer for future reference.
Thank you!
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 18, 2004
Jane, Yeah…I know what you mean. I’m an organizational nightmare…I have an overstuffed real world file folder and an overstuffed virtual folder on my computer filled with tutorials and stuff related to photoshop.

Terri
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Snowy morning here, so a good time to sort and move some of the extra stuff over onto my external hd.
But I need to have all the PSE goodies and tutorials right here so I can use them without hesitation.
Just have to organize things a bit better.
Have so doggone many pictures too, must move some of them over too. Keep the ‘best of’ on the Mac. Jane
RC
Robert_Camacho
Feb 18, 2004
I am new to Elements and find that the red eye reduction tool doesn’t really do what I would like. I have however found that simply putting an overlay and using the colour I want works for me. Hope this helps.
Robert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections