LW
Posted By
Leasa_Weimer
Feb 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, I feel like a moron! I went to HELP and it says click on "red eye reduction" tool…but I can’t find it! It’s not in my tool bar or FILE or EDIT. Why is it so hidden? Isn’t this a function many of us use??? By the way, I have Photoshop CS2. Thank you kindly!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 4, 2007
Where is red-eye reduction?

The correct answer, of course, is that it is at the end of your arm. Invest in an extension lead and move that flashgun off the top of the camera away from the lens axis!

Isn’t this a function many of us use?

I’m a professional photographer specializing in people photography and I can honestly say I have never used it. It think you’ll find this is true of the majority of professionals.

It’s not in my tool bar

You’ll find the Red Eye Reduction tool in the healing brush / patch tool fly-out.

F1 is a good resource 😉
D
DB
Feb 4, 2007
Me thinks the correct answer should be……in yer wallet and not at the end of your arm……

but i do think the person posting was after a solution and probably not ……I could be wrong….a pee taking reply..

DB…

wrote in message
Where is red-eye reduction?

The correct answer, of course, is that it is at the end of your arm. Invest in an extension lead and move that flashgun off the top of the camera away from the lens axis!

Isn’t this a function many of us use?

I’m a professional photographer specializing in people photography and I can honestly say I have never used it. It think you’ll find this is true of the majority of professionals.

It’s not in my tool bar

You’ll find the Red Eye Reduction tool in the healing brush / patch tool fly-out.

F1 is a good resource 😉
J
Jason
Feb 4, 2007
In article ,
says…
Ok, I feel like a moron! I went to HELP and it says click on "red eye reduction" tool…but I can’t find it! It’s not in my tool bar or FILE or EDIT. Why is it so hidden? Isn’t this a function many of us use??? By the way, I have Photoshop CS2. Thank you kindly!
It’s in the toolbox in the flyout where you find the Healing Brush tools, right under the Crop tool.

Jason

reverse my name in email address
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 4, 2007
Chris,

The professional in you is getting jaded by the choice between top-mount or off-camera flash. 😉 Keeping in mind that many cameras have a built-in or pop-up flash at best (not much better!), the red-eye tool is still potentially very useful to many photographers. For as many times as I’ve seen the healing brush fly-out, I’m not sure I’ve ever even noticed the red-eye tool apart from when it was in the CS2 beta menu structure.

I hate built-in flashes to the point that if I’m shooting photos of people, I just ask them not to look quite directly at me or else I try to find an area with sufficient natural light that flash isn’t required. The other choice was a make-shift flash deflector I’d attach to the front of a camera I once had, using that to trigger a slaved, hand-held flash. That worked. 🙂

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2007
I just ask them not to look quite directly at me

I dunno, not being a professional, my last 2 cameras (oly 3020 zoom and now a canon s2) do a pretty good job with the built in red eye reduction where the pre-flash dilates the eyes so that they’re not red in the image. i haven’t taken a picture with red eye in years over thousands of (decidedly amateur) images.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 4, 2007
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 4, 2007
How many photographers from the millions using digital (or come to that, point and shoot fillum cameras) have a hot shoe?

I don’t think that anyone asking about red-eye belongs to the hot-shoe brigade, or even has the option.

As Daryl said: The professional in you is getting jaded by the choice between top-mount or off-camera flash.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 4, 2007
Dave,

Yes, when I think of it, my Olympus C5050 was better than I expected with controlling red-eye, but damn if that preflash didn’t also tend to throw folks off on the timing of when the photo was actually captured. Sometimes that works for you, other times not. I just had to remember to forewarn them to "keep smiling". 🙂 With my D70 and D200, I’m not sure if I’ve ever used the pop-up flash for photographing people unless using it in wireless controller mode where the flash is minimal relative to my off-camera SB800. If I shoot with the SB800 on-camera, I bounce or diffuse it to avoid red-eye.

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 4, 2007
but damn if that preflash didn’t also tend to throw folks off on the timing of when the photo was actually captured

yea, i’ve noticed that. i’ve found the best cure for that is to get em good and drunk before you start shooting pix. jose cuervo gold is good lubricant for achieving this effect. XD

I just had to remember to forewarn them to "keep smiling".

well yea, that’s another option if there’s no cuervo around. 🙂

for the record, the s2 preflash is WAY more pronounced than the olympus was.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 4, 2007
get em good and drunk before you start

Fancy doing a portrait of me?

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 5, 2007
heh! 🙂
CB
charles badland
Feb 5, 2007
the built in red eye reduction where the pre-flash dilates the eyes so that they’re not red in the image.

Wouldn’t that make the red-eye problem worse? 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 5, 2007
ok, erm, contract? 😉
CB
charles badland
Feb 5, 2007
Constrict.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 5, 2007
shrink?
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 5, 2007
You’re right Dave, the use of "red eye pre-flash" results in pictures of people who look as if they need to visit a shrink. They end up with that startled look which says: "Why’s that mad photographer shining a pulsating light at me?!" 8o

As Daryl said, you have to tell the subject to "keep smiling" which kind of kills the sponteneity somewhat. More 😛 than 🙂

As for my use of the word "professional" in post #1 – substiute "serious".

Either way, I fail to see why I was barracked for pointing out why red-eye occurs in the first place and for suggesting how "serious" photographers avoid it.

For those with point-and-shoot the red eye tool is invaluable.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 5, 2007
Chris,

I "barracked" you simply so that you’d come back and say that’s what I’d done to you, leaving me to look up the usage of that word as a verb and expand my vocabulary a bit more. 🙂 Of course I understood the intent of what you were saying, but the verbage was new to me.

I think you know my reply wasn’t meant to truly be jeering at you, but really was just an amplification upon how Leasa might’ve been using a simpler camera than your response implied.

Cheers,

Daryl
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 5, 2007
🙂 Smileys all round 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections