Posted By
Andrew_Fortune
Jan 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

In PSE2, I am wondering if there is a way to convert any transparent areas within a selection on the canvas to a color (e.g. white) ?

I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance.

regards,
Andrew J Fortune,
Melbourne,
Australia

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BG
Byron_Gale
Jan 2, 2004
Andrew,

Maybe this will help…

When you have a layer which contains some transparency, you can select the non-transparent portion, all at once, by holding CTRL while clicking the layer’s icon in the layers palette. You can get the same thing by right-clicking the layer’s icon in the layers palette, and choosing "Select Layer Transparency".

Now, with everything non-transparent selected, invert the selection (CTRL-SHIFT-I, or Select > Inverse) to select only the transparent portion.

Now, you can Edit > Fill with whatever color you wish. I’d suggest that you do so on a new, blank layer, for flexibility. After you get your desired selection, just click the new layer icon in the layers palette, and then do your fill.

HTH,

Byron
RH
Rick Hughes
Jan 2, 2004
Create a new fill layer below the transparent layer and fill it with white. Merge the layers.

Rick

wrote in message
Hi all,

In PSE2, I am wondering if there is a way to convert any transparent areas
within a selection on the canvas to a color (e.g. white) ?
I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance.

regards,
Andrew J Fortune,
Melbourne,
Australia
AF
Andrew_Fortune
Jan 2, 2004
Byron,

Thank you for your reply, although this is not working for me. I should have been more specific regarding my requirements.

Let me explain (if I can). I purchases a package of hair brushes from the Renderosity marketplace, called Heavenly Hair combo. This consisted of two brush libraries (*.abr), and these contained an assortment of brushes.

One subset of brushes appears to correspond to the person’s fringe. The brush is semi-transparent, and the most transparent part corresponds to where the highlight should be.

Its very hard to describe, so I have uploaded an image to my website. This image contains the head of a Poser figure with one "dab" of the PS7 brush for the fringe. You can view it at <http://www.ains.net.au/~mathman/steph3.jpg>.

See how the scalp shows thru’ the fringe ? … and see how the "most transparent" area corresponds to where you would expect the highlight to be ?

I am trying to convert this into a thick lustrous fringe with highlights. To make this so, it seems to me that the best way would be to convert the transparent areas to white – however I don’t want the outside edges of the fringe to be white.

Maybe I am going about this the wrong way altogether, and there is a more simple solution (…as this is becoming damn complicated) ??

cheers,
Andrew
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 2, 2004
What about putting in a new (transparent) layer on top of the head and paint in on this an opaque colour – maybe white or pale yellow for blonde – just on the area that you want the highlights to be? Then paint the hair in on yet another layer, allowing the opaque highlights to show through the hair. This would still allow the skin/background to show through realistically where you want it to where hair overlaps the face or other objects, but not show the scalp.

susan S.
edited for clarity (I hope!)
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 2, 2004
Also try…creating two new blank layers, one above the poser with the mode set to Overlay and the other on top on that. Use your fringe brush on the top layer. On the middle Overlay layer, get a brush about 1/3 hard, at paint with about 20% opacity. Make sure black is the foreground color in the Tool Box and just repeat strokes to darken the areas you want deeper. Don’t paint over areas that should be lighter for the highlight.

Can you change the color that the brush paints with to make it a darker one?

Or make a blank layer on top of poser, stamp with fringe brush on it, duplicate this layer, set mode for that layer to multiply and lower the opacity of that layer to suit. to Can use Move tool to offset this fringe just a bit from the lower one.

Or on a blank layer above poser, stamp with fringe brush. Go to bottom of Layers Palette and get a Levels Adjustment layer. Play with moving the sliders in the upper of the two bars, probably move left one inwards and middle one to the right some. And perhaps on the lower slider bar, move the right hand triangle towards the left.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections