L
Posted By
Lysanah
Dec 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The print margins are pre-set and do not seem to be able to change. Can they be changed and how? I am building a simple brochure that needs to print to the outside edge of the paper.
Thanks
Lysanah

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
Do you mean print margins or the no-print zone? Not all printers are capable of printing to the outside edge of the paper.

Could you be a little more specific and tell us where you’re seeing those settings?
L
Lysanah
Dec 30, 2003
When I go into print preview, then page set up and in that screen it shows the margins but they are gray and cannot be changed. I am not familiar with print zones. My brochures are suppose to be qty(2) 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 side by side on paper set on landscape and print to the edge so when I cut them in half there are no white lines. This seems to be a problem with Adobe PSE 2.0 but am not sure.
Thanks
L
Lysanah
Dec 30, 2003
Now that I have been thinking on this I should tell everyone that I do not know what I am doing. I just try to learn on my own. I set up my original brochure just like I want it, I then went to the print layouts under the file menu, then to picture package, then layed out the brochure like I wanted and tried to print. That is when I have the problem with margins. Maybe I should not use the picture package at all. Is there a way to have two cloned looking brochures side by side on one sheet of paper landscape style without using the picture package?
Lysanah
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
Yes, Lysanah, there is, and it might be much easier to handle than the picture package. But while I’m thinking about it – the reason the area in which the margins can be set is grayed out is most likely because there’s a checkmark in the box that says Center Image. If you remove the checkmark you’ll be able to set your own margins.

In answer to your question about putting two layouts on one sheet of paper without using Picture Package:

First, I’m assuming you’re working with the same resolution for each portion of your project. If not, you need to have them that way in order to get the best result.

Have both "halves" open on your desktop.

Now go to File>New and create a new blank document. Make sure it is created at the same resolution as what you want to print, set the background to either white or transparent, and choose the full document size you want. Leave that open on your desktop, too.

Next, choose the Move tool and click on one of the two images you want on the larger canvas. Hold down the mouse button and just drag it to the new canvas. Do the same thing with the other one. The positions can be shifted by continuing to use the Move tool. When you get it the way you want it, print.
L
Lysanah
Dec 30, 2003
Thank you Beth Haney, you have very helpful.
Stan
BT
Ben_T
Dec 30, 2003
Lysanah
The printers that I am familiar with will not print to the edge of 8.5 x 11 inch paper. I am now using an Epson C80. You may have to design your brochure to fit the printers ‘printable area’ and that will require you to cut the margins. If you are printing more than a few it would be more practible to have a print shop such as Kinkos to print them for you.
Ben
L
Lysanah
Dec 30, 2003
Beth Haney, Sorry but if I have a few layers involved in this how do I get all the file over to the new document?
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
If I want to move a document with layers, I make a duplicate of my original image file (Image>Duplicate), then I do Layers>Flatten on the copy. It can then be moved easily. When I’m done with the move, I just close the copy and don’t bother saving it, unless I can think of some good reason, which I usually can’t!
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 31, 2003
Or, instead of making a duplicate image to move, you could Select>All, Edit>Copy, create a new blank layer at top of stack, go Edit>Copy Merged. This will give you, on the top layer, all the layers flattened…a copy of the image with all layers merged. This preserves all of the layers underneath. You can then just drag that top layer over to the new document and delete the layer if desired.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 31, 2003
Nice tip, Nancy! I hadn’t thought of that one, and I’ll try it next time. Thanks!
L
Lysanah
Dec 31, 2003
Thank you very much Beth and Nancy. Maybe I can get this to work. I am still struggling but will keep trying. Is there any good books to purchase for the person who does not know anything about this?
Lysanah
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 31, 2003
Check this thread, which started yesterday, and there are several favorites recommended. I think the topic is something about Aftermarket Books.

Marshall Ponzi "Aftermarket Instruction Books?" 12/31/03 6:19am </cgi-bin/webx?13/4>
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 2, 2004
Nancy, there is a keyboard short for your method of flattening layers to the top but maintaining all layers below…’stamp visible’ >

make a new layer and the short is >Ctrl + alt + shift +E…just thought i’d mention it.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 2, 2004
Thanks Jodi, I did know that but decided to use the descriptive method so it would be understood as to… what was-a-happenin’
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 2, 2004
Oh Ok, sorry 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections