M
Posted By
mffisher
Dec 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I first used the 30 day free trial…then bought PS elements. When I attempt to open a file by clicking, I get the trial flash screen with a notice of expiration. I have to open the purchased version, then open the file. I’ve looked in my applications file and have all sorts of files, with all sorts of dates, etc. Nothing in labled trial. Mac OS X, Imac.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 29, 2003
That demo needed to be completely removed from your computer before loading the full version, but the documentation doesn’t seem to make that as clear as it should. At this point I suggest you go in and remove both versions, including a find for straggling files that are related to either. This would, in particular, include manually deleting the preference folders that are now in there – probably one for each version. Once you’ve got both of them completely gone, reinstall from the CD.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
Beth, you’ve had to answer that one so many times…sure wish Adobe would modify the installation procedure for the full version to take care of that automatically. Kinda frustrates people who’ve used the tryout then have to jump through hoops to get the purchased version to work….not customer friendly.

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 29, 2003
That would be nice, wouldn’t it? Or at least make it more clear that the demo has to be removed completely first. And put it in some very obvious place. Microsoft (though I’m not a particular fan for obvious reasons!) does a good job of making warnings visible. I just got Office X, and everything was loud and clear about a complete removal of a demo version before trying to install the boxed version. Of course it didn’t happen to apply to me, but if it ever does, I bet I remember!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
The part that gets to me is the business of having to search for remnant files to remove; I’m not very good at that, and with my luck, I’d remove something that was critical to the performance of another program! It oughta be simple: push a button and demo disappears followed by full version installation. Sounds easy enough, right?
🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 29, 2003
What surprises me is that the uninstall feature built in to Windows doesn’t do a better job. For the most part, Mac users have never had to worry much about deleting programs, with the obvious exception of Elements! But, then, Mac has never built in any software purporting to take care of this, either. So…

But I agree; if Adobe or Microsoft build an app requiring demos be removed, I think they should come up with a way to get the job done simply and easily as part of the package.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections