AS
Posted By
Al_Stitz
Dec 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Are there preset borders that you can put around a picture? I have seen other programs that allow you to put clouds or something to frame the picture.
Thanks.
Al

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 22, 2003
I don’t remember anything like clouds, but check in Layer Styles for the "Wow" frames. The Effects palette also has some things that can be used for edging and some premade frames. You might want to check out the Adobe Studio Exchange. People develop various things and post them. Some are specifically for Elements, but many of the ones designed for PS 7 will work, too. Something will work on either platform, but others will be either Win or Mac specific.

You could also make something yourself by creating a frame around the image and then using cloud brushes.
AS
Al_Stitz
Dec 23, 2003
Thanks for the reply. The only thing that comes up under the Layer…layer style…is "hide all effects". I also can’t find the Effects palette you mention. Sorry I’m such an idiot on this program. I’m finding it very difficult to learn the photo elements 2.0 software.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 23, 2003
You might not have the tab for ‘Layer Styles’ showing in your palette well, and it is completely separate from the plain ‘Layer’ one. The Effects palette may be "put away", too. Look at the tabs showing in your well, if you don’t see a tab for either of these, go under Window on the main menu bar and click on the name of the palette you’re after. If it is hidden, a tab should appear in the well after clicking. Sorry this is such a poorly constructed paragraph! I think I’m getting tired.

And at the end of my last post, the word "something" should really read "some things". Duh. 🙂 Good luck! With "help" from me it’ll be amazing if you ever figure out how to do this.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 23, 2003
Here’s another tip to go along with Beth’s tip. When you select an effect or frame layer stlye you like, it can be adjusted to suit your preferences. Layer>layer style>scale…it can also be further adjusted on by using the layer settings in the same menu. I thought I’d add that…it took a bit for me to caught on to that. If you apply the prefab borders from the exchange, sharpen>sharpen edges to give a nice clean edge. Yet another way to go about this would be to use your marquee to select where you want your border…then go to edit>stroke. You will be able to pick out the frames width in pixels, color, and whether the stroke will be applied inside, outside, or on the selected border. Furthermore, while you still have your area selected out (after applying stroke) you can use a filter or effect to put a texture on your frame. Note: depending on what you selected for stroke application, you may have to select>inverse inorder to get the filter/effect applied to your frame instead of the interior area of your canvas. I’m sure some of the more experienced members of this forum will have many more tips on this subject. I just thought I’d pass along a little of what I have learned through tutorials, trial, and a lot of errors.

By the way, if this is a double post….oops. I think I thought I backed out without posting. I feel like Dr. Seus with that sentence.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 23, 2003
I forgot to mention the draw back to the stroke method mentioned is that I’m pretty sure it needs to be applied to a background layer or an object within a layer…because I haven’t been successful just appling a stroke to a transparency. Of course, I have been wrong before. You could also just simply select fill if you want your border to extend to the edge of the paper. Well, we’ll see…if I’ve got this fouled up somehow…somebody will be sure to post. I’ve got this bookmarked in case someone else posts back to give better advice.
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 23, 2003
Terri,

You CAN stroke a selection when working on a transparent layer, or a transparent portion of a layer.

Byron
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 23, 2003
Another interesting trick for a border is to copy your selection to a new layer,move it where you want it, apply a bevel and then the invisibilty layer style. You’ll get the empty bevel as a border.
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 23, 2003
Thanks, Barbara!!
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 23, 2003
Thanks Byron…I hadn’t tried it on a transparency before and wasn’t sure…so I opted for safe. I’ll have to try out Barbara’s tip…it sounds like a good one.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Dec 24, 2003
Don’t get discouraged, Al. It truly is difficult to learn and it would be easy to give up. But keep reading in the forum and printing out helpful tips as they come.

Also, I got a couple of books from Amazon that have helped me immensely.

When I first started, I couldn’t find the Effects or any of the things in the Well,either. Then someone here told me to resize my screen resolution to 1024×768 – that made all the difference in the world.

This is a great forum and everyone seems to love helping us newcomers.

Good luck,
Lorace

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections