JH
Posted By
John_Horne
Mar 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS CS3 Windows. New to PS. I want to draw a border around an existing image. I’ve opened a jpg file made some edits to it. Now I’d like to have a border around it. I can’t figure that out? Also I resized the image so now when I use tools that I would normally use to outline the image I can’t do it without selecting the original area size. Not sure if this is making sense but basically I resized the image from 2×3 to 1×2 so now when I use the rectangle tool I still have to drag over the 2×3 area in order to cover the actual image (I was using this tool thinking I could change the body of the rectangle to no color and just leave the border and or make the rectangle a little larger then the image and place it behind the image (couldn’t figure that out either). I can’t just drag over the 1×2 area. I’ve tried looking up borders and rectangles but I don’t find anything that makes sense to me. The Adobe PS tutorials are OK but they assume a level of graphic design experience I don’t have.

Thanks
John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SP
Sid_Phillips
Mar 19, 2008
Do a control-A (select all). This should put a selection outline around your image. Then do an Edit-Stroke. Define your Width in pixels, Color, and then choose Inside. Set blending to whatever you want (Normal for a solid color) and then the Opacity.

Play with it. Have fun. Do NOT edit original images – always do an Image-Duplicate before doing edits until you know what you’re doing. It is way too easy to make edits and then save that file over your original – losing the source file forever (unless you have a backup).
JH
John_Horne
Mar 19, 2008
Thanks Sid, stupid question two. once I duplicate the image where do I find it? I know in a training video it seemed the duplicate appeared in the PS editing window along with the original. When I do it it says create as copy of…. but I never see it? The editing window still says I have the original file open? If it’s not behaving as it should – could be related to the problem I have with PS freezing while I’m editing?

Thanks
John
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Mar 19, 2008
I’d expand the canvas via Image>Canvas Size (fill a background layer with preferred stroke color) instead of stroking inside it.
S
Silkrooster
Mar 20, 2008
John,
If the original image is taking up the entire screen, the copied image would be underneath it. 2 ways to get to it. 1)In the above menu select window and at the bottom of the menu is the list of open images. 2)Use ctrl-tab to switch between the images.
Silk

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections