AT
Posted By
A.Translator
Dec 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know at least one of you is a happy owner of the Nikon 4300, so I dare ask a question on behalf of a friend who just bought one: she is worried about the sound the camera makes while focusing and asks: is this normal? She describes it as ‘hearing the camera is doing something’ rather than ‘it makes a noise’ , so I don’t think it can be that bad.

Before buying the Nikon she tried out my Olympus 2040, which does not make much of a sound, so perhaps she takes that as the norm.

I realize it is difficult to say something without hearing the sound, but perhaps you have more experience and can say something like: "that is normal with this type of camera". We would be most grateful. —
Groet, Adriana.
[when replying by e-mail, remember: grootpoot is Dutch for bigfoot]

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Dec 22, 2003
Well,
I have a Nikon CP995, and it makes a discernible noise as it constantly adjusts focus. Perhaps that is what she is hearing. I suspect so.

🙂

Brent
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 22, 2003
Same with mine, my 4300 makes quiet little noises when focusing, sort of like our cat when he is dreaming.
The 990 makes a much louder noise, sort of like a tiny growl. It is normal, it is the little motor. Makes you know it is working.
The hard drive on my brother’s iMac makes really funny noises! With the fans and hard drives and little electronic noises, my computer room is entertaining.
We have very little traffic or other noise except for a nearby air force base(I love the jets), so we do hear all the little noises, wait till spring and the birds will drown out all the electronics.
Maybe thats why I don’t run iTunes as much as most people do. Your camera is fine.
Jane
AT
A.Translator
Dec 22, 2003
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 06:54:53 -0800, wrote:

Same with mine, my 4300 makes quiet little noises when focusing, sort of like our cat when he is dreaming.

Thank you, Jane. I was hoping you would answer for I knew you had the same camera. ‘Purring’ is a lovely and apt description.

Groet, Adriana.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 22, 2003
The hard drive on my brother’s iMac makes really funny noises!

Oh oh. Unless you mean his eMac, Jane? Those are notoriously noisy, as macs go. Otherwise, has it always made these noises?
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 22, 2003
My Canon also makes this noise when it is in continuous focus. I have it set to single focus as I don’t like the sound (I originally thought it was a short) and it is recommended by many owners to switch to single focus for better shots. I don’t know if that applies to Nikons as well. You’d probably find out more about it at the Nikon forum at dpreview.com
AT
A.Translator
Dec 22, 2003
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:16:46 -0800, wrote:

You’d probably find out more about it at the Nikon forum at dpreview.com

Thank you! I had no idea such forum existed.

Groet, Adriana.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 22, 2003
hi Barbara, Actually his iMac makes more noise than his eMac. The fan on the eMac is noisier, but the iMac hard drive sounds sort of like it is ‘in the frying pan’, almost like a cooking noise. It was odd at first, but we got used to it. My husband’s iMac is really quiet.
My G4 hd is really quiet, it has gentle little squeeky noises. Its fan is a bit noisy, not bad, except once last year it had a tuft of dog fur stuck in it and make a whirring noise. Took me a long while to figure that out, but finally got it out with tweezers.
I guess that each individual computer and camera has its own ‘personality’ just like our pets do. Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections